Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Manually load files into RAM?

I Googled this a few ways but didn't find anything that helped me out. For fun I am benching my new OCZ ATV 4GB flash drive. What I was thinking is can I load say 1GB of files into my Ram so I am not dealing with HDD read/write speeds when transferring the files back and forth from the USB --> HDD?

I am also using HD Tach free version to get synthetic read numbers but I want to do the real world thing. And if anyone has any other suggestions for benching this flash drive feel free to post em.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 1, 2008, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

have a look through these links.....

ramdrive - Google Search=

Apparently (just had a quick look through a few of them) there's even a microsoft Ramdisk...... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 1, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool thanks! Had no idea I was looking for a Ram Drive. I will give 'er a go later today

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 2, 2008, 09:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you were using Linux I would suggest using dd and /dev/ones.

You might be able to make Bart's Stuff Test work for you. Bart's Stuff Test 5
Old February 2, 2008, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
have a look through these links.....

ramdrive - Google Search=

Apparently (just had a quick look through a few of them) there's even a microsoft Ramdisk...... :)
I was able to get RamDisk to create a 1024MB Ram Disk! The trial version has full functionality for 15 days. Thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
If you were using Linux I would suggest using dd and /dev/ones.

You might be able to make Bart's Stuff Test work for you. Bart's Stuff Test 5
Thanks, I DL'd Bart's Stuff Test but seems I cannot use it on a device unless I buy the full version.

=======================

I will be posting my findings later, maybe in a full member review or something a little more casual. I know there is already a review of the 2GB version of this flash drive on here so maybe I'll post on another forum *shrugs*. Just glancing at the ATTO Disk Benchmark of the 2GB drive and my ATTO tests, I would say the 4GB version is much the same performance as the 2GB. It's not the fastest 4GB drive out there but for $25 I think I am getting my money's worth.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old February 4, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

One question about the Ram Disk I created using Ram Disk Plus. I transferred about 965MB of files to it. Then I transferred the files from the Ram Disk to my USB drive. When I transferred the files back to the Ram Disk from my USB drive... it took like 15 seconds as opposed to the usual 2+ minutes? Is this because my files were somehow "cached" in RAM? I tried it a few times and always got this result.

If I stored the 956 MB of files on my USB, then created a new Ram Disk that never had any data in it, and then transferred the files over to it from my USB drive... it took the usual 2+ minutes.

Just an observation I had and if anyone knows what's happening let me know.

Thanks.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old February 4, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
One question about the Ram Disk I created using Ram Disk Plus. I transferred about 965MB of files to it. Then I transferred the files from the Ram Disk to my USB drive. When I transferred the files back to the Ram Disk from my USB drive... it took like 15 seconds as opposed to the usual 2+ minutes? Is this because my files were somehow "cached" in RAM? I tried it a few times and always got this result.

If I stored the 956 MB of files on my USB, then created a new Ram Disk that never had any data in it, and then transferred the files over to it from my USB drive... it took the usual 2+ minutes.

Just an observation I had and if anyone knows what's happening let me know.

Thanks.
If the ramdrive is setup the same as a hard drive I say run HD Tach or Tune on it and see what sort of speeds your getting with it.