Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
Top Prospect

To be honest, I dont even know why I have it. I honestly never download anything other than lots of games from Steam, which is trusted obviously.

Heres what I have for security:

-ESET Smart Security (Nod32 w/ a firewall)
-Malware Bytes AntiMalware
-Spybot Search & Destroy
-Firefox 4.1 Sandboxied
-FF4 Extentions:
Noscript, Adblockplus, Ghostery, Web of Trust

I don't think a keylogger would last very long because I have to manually recover downloaded items from the sandboxed browser... everything would get deleted as its all isolated from the rest of my harddrive.

What course of action should I take now? Should I continue to keep my old ram uninstalled and see if it still freezes, or re-install the ram and remove Keyscrambler to see if it fixes the freezing?
Old May 29, 2011, 09:47 AM
Top Prospect

Your security software looks really good...I run firefox in Sandboxie too, and you just have to allow only your browser and things like Flash, Java, etc... to run and block everything else. If you do this, chances are very slim getting a keylogger.

For now...uninstall the keylogger software. If you don't have any issues in the next week, install your new set of RAM and see what happens. In the meantime, if you are able to get a burner, definitely take memtest for a ride (not that I want to beat a dead horse :p) as it would answer a lot of questions on stability really quick. :)
Old May 29, 2011, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
Your security software looks really good...I run firefox in Sandboxie too, and you just have to allow only your browser and things like Flash, Java, etc... to run and block everything else. If you do this, chances are very slim getting a keylogger.

For now...uninstall the keylogger software. If you don't have any issues in the next week, install your new set of RAM and see what happens. In the meantime, if you are able to get a burner, definitely take memtest for a ride (not that I want to beat a dead horse :p) as it would answer a lot of questions on stability really quick. :)
Dude francis, I really cant thank you enough for all of your help :) Im going to exactly that!
My mom is going to get some CD's next week so Im going to run a memtest then.

Shouldn't I just leave it installed to see if it freezes the system though? That would rule out the new ram being faulty, and then I'd be certain that it was just the keyscrambler.

I dunno, I guess ill just uninstall it anyways since it crashed my computer...
Old May 29, 2011, 10:17 AM
Top Prospect

Glad to help!

I'd still take the keylogger software out...it potentially caused a BSOD and TBH it's not really needed. It's just one less piece of software to worry about. If you lock down sandboxie, you'll have a really tight system.

It's nice to hear you'll give memtest a go...like I mentioned, running it should answer some questions - most importantly if this is a hardware or software issue. In the meantime, let see how things run without the keylogger software. :)
Old May 29, 2011, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
Glad to help!

I'd still take the keylogger software out...it potentially caused a BSOD and TBH it's not really needed. It's just one less piece of software to worry about. If you lock down sandboxie, you'll have a really tight system.

It's nice to hear you'll give memtest a go...like I mentioned, running it should answer some questions - most importantly if this is a hardware or software issue. In the meantime, let see how things run without the keylogger software. :)
Sounds pretty good. I think that the driver for the keyscrambler software actually runs in the background which explains why it actually may be causing the freezing, even if firefox isnt opened. The thing is that the free version only activates when in the browser, not for anything else. BTW How do you have your sandbox configured? Mine deletes things when I close the browser.. I have a seperate desktop shortcut to open a non-sandboxed version for updating addons and plugins. ALSO This is offtopic but does your FF4 ever open like 12 plugin-container.exe processes when firefox is opened? Mine does, and it takes a long time to delete everything within the sandbox, but then again this has nothing to do with freezing because I've had sandboxie for a long time.. and its always done what I stated above.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

Yup...I will have a "plugin-container.exe" process when I open Firefox. AFAIK, this is to support Flash, Quicktime, etc... content. I don't really know too much else about it, but I can say it's a legit process.

I gotta head out the door pretty soon for my ball game, but when I get back I'll show you how I've got Sanboxie configured on my end.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
My computer just wont quit freezing, and its driving me nuts, at least 5 out of the 7 days of the week it freezes, which it never used to do until I got my second set of DDR3 ram. I guess Ill RMA it but im not 100% certain that its what is causing the problem. Do I just start out by pulling out the 2 new sticks of ram that I have (I have 4 sticks; 8GB in total). OR do I just pull out one of the new sticks of ram?

UPDATE!!!:
I have a feeling that it may not actually be my RAM, around the same time that I installed my ram I also installed a program called "key scrambler" which is an anti-keylogging software that gets integrated into firefox. Yesterday I got a BSOD because of the stupid program. It said clearly that the driver for keyscrambler had crashed my system.

I do recall at least half of the times that I have either been opening firefox, or doing something related to it which freezes my PC. I am going to hold off on re-installing my new set of ram for the time being to see if it still freezes, and at that point ill just uninstall keyscrambler to see if it stops the freezing!
So far, other than the BSOD yesterday my computer has yet to freeze, but I have to wait at least another week to really make sure it wont.
1.partition HD
2.install clean copy of windows
3.diagnose the BSOD "google"
4.if unknown start with memtest/default bios options
5.move on to removing other add in cards one by one
6.keyscrambler had issues for win 7 until about v2.6+ or whatever it was, fairly certain the most recent does not suffer from the previous issue.
7.if thats your issue simply use autoruns to prevent the driver on load or uninstall/choose new software.
Old June 6, 2011, 01:08 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
1.partition HD
2.install clean copy of windows
3.diagnose the BSOD "google"
4.if unknown start with memtest/default bios options
5.move on to removing other add in cards one by one
6.keyscrambler had issues for win 7 until about v2.6+ or whatever it was, fairly certain the most recent does not suffer from the previous issue.
7.if thats your issue simply use autoruns to prevent the driver on load or uninstall/choose new software.
screw that, I definitely solved the freezing as its been almost 2 weeks with no freezing, so I just popped my memory back in... if it starts again, im removing it. It was probably just keyscrambler.