Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2011, 04:41 PM
Top Prospect

OK...since you're running a C3 revision CPU, I think the first step should be to verify that your new kit is indeed working properly. The C3's usually handle 4 DIMMs OK...it's better if you don't have to increase the voltage on the CPU-NB.

Since you know that your OK running just two DIMMs, put in the new memory only and run memtest. This will give you a base-line to compare when your testing for stability. If you want to pin down the cause of your issues, you can't change too many things at once. ;)
Old May 26, 2011, 04:48 PM
Top Prospect

I just found something really chilling on the overclock forums.. heres a link. There are like 4 people with the same problem -_- Anyways, I just re-installed all 4 sticks of my ram... That is why I was asking weather or not Memtest will tell me specifically which DIMM the faulty memory is seated in. Im NOT going to take off my MASSIVE heatsink over this shit, In fact I dont care, Ill live with the 4GB or 6GB of memory... Im just not planning on rmaing the whole motherboard. Anyways, I hate how dodgey this is, I dont know if it really is the ram as I cant recreate it unless I just use my PC normally for a week. Its frustrating me.. I NEED THAT DAMNED USB Stick!!! LINK: m4a87td evo mobo memory issues??? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old May 26, 2011, 05:57 PM
Top Prospect

Alright, since Memtest doesnt wanna boot off of my removable drive (I made it the only option in my bios even) I will have to do this the really hard way.. Im gonna have to use my PC for the next week or so and if it doesnt freeze within 2 weeks lets say without the extra ram installed, I know that either the ram or my MOBO's 2nd or 4th DIMMs are pooched.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
Top Prospect

Dang...too bad you can't get it to boot. Heck...you could always just get a cheapo DVD writer. Most places sell the OEM burners for $20 :p
Old May 26, 2011, 06:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
Dang...too bad you can't get it to boot. Heck...you could always just get a cheapo DVD writer. Most places sell the OEM burners for $20 :p
Damn it, I dont have a ride to canada computers. My only option is to wait and see if my computer will freeze without that set of ram installed. I can only hope really... but then at that point I think I might just sell that ram on here or something because I fear that it may actually be my mother board... Ill post on here and message you the results within a couple weeks :) THanks for all of your help!!!
Old May 26, 2011, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect

OK...I guess that's all you can do. Let us know how it goes. :)
Old May 26, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Sorry guys LAST QUESTION! How do I know which DIMM is bad if I get errors on memtest, does it tell me or do I have to do trial and error?
Trial and error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
BTW I also have my CPU a bit undervolted, It's set to approximately 1.35v, but it actually runs at 1.32v, which I am certain is stable because I ran P95 for 6 hours straight after doing it
Write down all your settings as they are. Reset the BIOS.

6 hours isn't stable in my books. Had many OC's fail at around the 8hr mark. Granted, after the first 8hrs the chances of failure has got to be less than 1% in my experiences.

I do this type of stuff in my spare time, so most OC's get tested for 24 to 36 hours+ on the final test. (while I'm at work, or whatever)
Old May 26, 2011, 08:04 PM
Top Prospect

I've reset my bios by accident already, and also I can say that I've played for at least 16 hours straight of garrys mod (really stresses your CPU with all of the physics) back in the summer after lowering the voltage a bit... Im just waiting now for a freeze and crossing my fingers that it doesnt!
Old May 29, 2011, 09:12 AM
Top Prospect

UPDATE!!!:
I have a feeling that it may not actually be my RAM, around the same time that I installed my ram I also installed a program called "key scrambler" which is an anti-keylogging software that gets integrated into firefox. Yesterday I got a BSOD because of the stupid program. It said clearly that the driver for keyscrambler had crashed my system.

I do recall at least half of the times that I have either been opening firefox, or doing something related to it which freezes my PC. I am going to hold off on re-installing my new set of ram for the time being to see if it still freezes, and at that point ill just uninstall keyscrambler to see if it stops the freezing!
So far, other than the BSOD yesterday my computer has yet to freeze, but I have to wait at least another week to really make sure it wont.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect

Interesting...that could do it. Sometimes security software can be bad for BSOD's.

If you want a good replacement for your keylogger software, check out something like PrevX. It's very light on system resources but has very powerful detection of threats. I've been running it for a while and have no such issues.