Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2011, 02:15 PM
Top Prospect

Alright, well Im going to do the Memtest first before messing with voltages. Do I just bump up my NB and CPU voltage? I have a quad core AMD Phenom II 955 lol. If the freezing isnt actually cause by the ram is there a chance that It could be software related like my OS (win 7 64bit) I've looked through my event viewer so many times but I never get anything good out of it.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Grab HCI memtest, it will pick up errors fast.

MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows

If you get errors with all mem installed then test one at a time
Old May 26, 2011, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Grab HCI memtest, it will pick up errors fast.

MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows

If you get errors with all mem installed then test one at a time
Hey thanks for the suggestion, I was already planning on doing that today or tomorrow if I have time. I was taking out one of my sets of memory to test if I still froze in my OS, but obviously I'd put all of my RAM in when running the test (Im assuming it tells you which dimm has the faulty memory correct?)
Old May 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
Top Prospect

Sorry guys LAST QUESTION! How do I know which DIMM is bad if I get errors on memtest, does it tell me or do I have to do trial and error?
Old May 26, 2011, 02:30 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Alright, well Im going to do the Memtest first before messing with voltages. Do I just bump up my NB and CPU voltage? I have a quad core AMD Phenom II 955 lol. If the freezing isnt actually cause by the ram is there a chance that It could be software related like my OS (win 7 64bit) I've looked through my event viewer so many times but I never get anything good out of it.
Not quite on the voltage....there should be a setting in the BIOS usually labled 'CPU-NB' voltage. It might be called something different depending on your motherboard.

Interesting that you have a Phenom II, though. Do you know if it's a C2 or C3 stepping (you can use CPUz to find out). IIRC, the C2's could officially support 4 DIMMs at only 1066 MHz instead of 1333 MHz becasue of the increased stress on the IMC. So, it's common to see many C2 users bump up the CPU-NB voltage a bit when running 4 DIMMs. When the C3's came along, one of the changes to the CPU was a beefed up IMC...so running 4 DIMMs was usually a bit easier. YMMV.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:31 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Sorry guys LAST QUESTION! How do I know which DIMM is bad if I get errors on memtest, does it tell me or do I have to do trial and error?
No worries!

Memtest will throw errors if you have a bad module...that's how you'll know. A good module should beable to get through several passes of memtest with zero errors.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
Not quite on the voltage....there should be a setting in the BIOS usually labled 'CPU-NB' voltage. It might be called something different depending on your motherboard.

Interesting that you have a Phenom II, though. Do you know if it's a C2 or C3 stepping (you can use CPUz to find out). IIRC, the C2's could officially support 4 DIMMs at only 1066 MHz instead of 1333 MHz becasue of the increased stress on the IMC. So, it's common to see many C2 users bump up the CPU-NB voltage a bit when running 4 DIMMs. When the C3's came along, one of the changes to the CPU was a beefed up IMC...so running 4 DIMMs was usually a bit easier. YMMV.
I am quite certain that I have the c3 stepping, I remember buying it specifically for this reason. The options I have are offset and manual CPU voltage, but there is no CPU-NB voltage, I can just change them separately. Wait lemme hop into my bois and see.. If you guys dont mind waiting I want to leave my settings as is before changing voltages and stuff because it will take weeks to see if it works (my computer only freezes 3 times a week+). Im gonna run a Memtest as soon as I can get my hands on my USB drive. In fact I have it downloaded and everything. ALSO THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!: My CPU voltage is set to 1.35 too if it makes any difference because I like to keep it cool (its default for the c3 anyways; max for the c3 stepping is 1.4v I believe)
Old May 26, 2011, 02:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you use the memtest I linked you just DL it and run from Windows.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
If you use the memtest I linked you just DL it and run from Windows.
Thanks, tbh I just wanna use memtest... I know im stubborn -_- How do I use it though? And can someone help me with the Voltage settings in my post above?
Old May 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
Top Prospect

Hey francis, I found the CPU-NB voltage setting in my BIOS, its set to 1.100V, but I can bump it up at an interval of 0.003125 volts which is freaking small. BTW I also have my CPU a bit undervolted, It's set to approximately 1.35v, but it actually runs at 1.32v, which I am certain is stable because I ran P95 for 6 hours straight after doing it (This was before getting my new ram and when I first got my PC) How much can I bump it up safely? I currently have an ASUS M4A87TD-EVO Motherboard just so you know too. Last thing I ran that in-windows memtest and it just lagged my computer so hard. I think Ill stick to MEM test as I can at least test all of my ram as opposed to leaving like 1GB out of it.