Old May 22, 2011, 06:06 AM
Rookie

Default Ram Up-Grade

Following config to up-grade Ram

Procssor- AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

Motherboard- ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3

Ram available in my area as follows

1) Gskill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

But confusion is Ram Gskill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ as per ASUS QVL, but in Gskill web shows it is not support to my MOBO.

2) Gskill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2X2=4Gb

This model is not in QVL

3) Gskill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 4X1=4Gb

I have to purchage seperatly for 4X2=8 Gb, I dont know about matching.

Please suggest me the best
Attached Images
File Type: pdf M4A88TD-M EVO USB3 QVL.pdf (136.6 KB, 822 views)
Old May 22, 2011, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

Hello and welcome!

Take the QVL with a grain of salt...it's more of a guideline. While the RAM in the QVL should work, just because the RAM you are looking at is not in the QVL does not mean it will not work, it usually means they haven't tested it yet.

If I had to pick from those three kits, I'd take the second one. The first kit is for an i7 CPU...so, the kits designed for i5/i7 sometimes don't always perform to the rated speed and timings on and AMD platform. The third kit is just a single DIMM...you might get it to work with another DIMM of the same type...but, that's not a guarantee.

To give you another option, if you are able to order on-line, I really like Mushkin RAM for AMD platforms. Easily the best performing RAM I've had on my AMD rigs...just some food for thought.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
Hello and welcome!

Take the QVL with a grain of salt...it's more of a guideline. While the RAM in the QVL should work, just because the RAM you are looking at is not in the QVL does not mean it will not work, it usually means they haven't tested it yet.

If I had to pick from those three kits, I'd take the second one. The first kit is for an i7 CPU...so, the kits designed for i5/i7 sometimes don't always perform to the rated speed and timings on and AMD platform. The third kit is just a single DIMM...you might get it to work with another DIMM of the same type...but, that's not a guarantee.

To give you another option, if you are able to order on-line, I really like Mushkin RAM for AMD platforms. Easily the best performing RAM I've had on my AMD rigs...just some food for thought.

No Mushkin available in my place, Thanks for your suggesion, to select ram.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What about Corsair or OCZ? I am mixing some OCZ Reaper with some old busted Kingston and they work fine together, but at 667 despite the Kingston saying to be rated for 800, but is like regular OEM ram, the Kingston modules. Will pair the Reaper with some Platinum PC 8000 later but as for mixing works fine. try to update the bios. Mobo is M4N72E
Old May 30, 2011, 11:30 PM
Rookie

As a G.skill enthusiast, there's not much of a difference between each kit. Each of those kits are DDR3-1600. Your motherboard will only support up to DDR3-1333, unless you OC.

Take a look at some G.skill F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH. It's an 8GB kit of DDR3-1333, and pretty great timings.

Quote:
What about Corsair or OCZ? I am mixing some OCZ Reaper with some old busted Kingston and they work fine together, but at 667 despite the Kingston saying to be rated for 800
Your Kingston are likely underclocked to match the Reapers.