Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2011, 03:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default 6GB kit on dual-channel AM3 board

I currently have an Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 motherboard and I just got Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz (CMP6GX3M3A1600C7) memory for a very low price from somebody who's not using the kit anymore.

I'm wondering how this memory kit will run on my AMD board that only has 4 slots for dual-channel?

Will this run with everything in single-channel mode, or will it run 2x2GB in dual-channel and 1x2GB in single-channel? Is there a big performance difference? Or is it better to just stick with 2x2GB and don't use the other 2GB?

Tnx.

Last edited by Twiebie; April 8, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old April 8, 2011, 04:47 PM
Banned
F@H

in theory it will default to single channel. try it,it wont kill anything :)

and welcome aboard!
Old April 9, 2011, 07:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Actually I can vouch that a 6gb kit (3 x 2gb) will run dual channel on an am3 board. Ill get a screen cap later on when I go to my friend's house.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:17 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Actually I can vouch that a 6gb kit (3 x 2gb) will run dual channel on an am3 board. Ill get a screen cap later on when I go to my friend's house.
I would be interested in seeing a memory benchmark on that.... when you do your screen cap. Something will be crippled, or lying to you.
Old April 9, 2011, 09:05 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

I had an AM3 rig with three DIMMs for quite some time. It will run in a sort of hybrid dual channel mode. Because you essentially have 4GB spread across both channels and an additional 2GB dimm on only one channel, your first 4GB will exhibit performance characteristics similar to dual channel, and the remaining 2GB will perform more like single channel.

I can't say that I've ever run benchmarks on it as I was more interested in quantity of memory than performance at the time, but memory performance will definitely be better with three DIMMs than a single DIMM in a true single-channel configuration. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can't run it in a "Ganged 128-bit" IMC configuration like this, but Unganged is supported and generally performs better anyway.

Quite a few intel laptops shipped with 3GB a couple of years back - mainly due to the limitation of 32-bit operating systems - but had 1x2048MB SODIMM and 1x1024MB SODIMM. The same sort of behavior holds true in this kind of configuration as well.
Old April 9, 2011, 10:50 AM
Banned
F@H

best to let others say it sometimes :)

question is, do you have a proper link that explains it? ive seen mobos 'say' its running in dual channel,
but reason gets the best of you at times :)
ive run mismatched sides for a while now, and yeah it shows dual chan. whatever ram you got on the left slots
shows single of course, and then add anything on the right and itll automatically say dual..
Old April 9, 2011, 10:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
best to let others say it sometimes :)

question is, do you have a proper link that explains it? ive seen mobos 'say' its running in dual channel,
but reason gets the best of you at times :)
ive run mismatched sides for a while now, and yeah it shows dual chan. whatever ram you got on the left slots
shows single of course, and then add anything on the right and itll automatically say dual..
Just google "Intel Flex Memory Technology" or "asymmetrical dual channel" for lots of info on the subject

I don't recall the name of AMD's similar function, but I believe it works essentially the same way as Intel's solution.
Old April 9, 2011, 11:13 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

I'm now at home and i'm about to put the memory in.

I'm not an experienced overclocker/benchmarker, but I would like to play around a bit with differerent memory set-ups. Does anyone have some recommendations on how to check in what mode the memory is actually running?
I know software such as CPU-Z can show some of this information, but is this to be trusted?

Cheers.
Old April 9, 2011, 11:37 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
I had an AM3 rig with three DIMMs for quite some time. It will run in a sort of hybrid dual channel mode. Because you essentially have 4GB spread across both channels and an additional 2GB dimm on only one channel, your first 4GB will exhibit performance characteristics similar to dual channel, and the remaining 2GB will perform more like single channel.

I can't say that I've ever run benchmarks on it as I was more interested in quantity of memory than performance at the time, but memory performance will definitely be better with three DIMMs than a single DIMM in a true single-channel configuration. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can't run it in a "Ganged 128-bit" IMC configuration like this, but Unganged is supported and generally performs better anyway.

Quite a few intel laptops shipped with 3GB a couple of years back - mainly due to the limitation of 32-bit operating systems - but had 1x2048MB SODIMM and 1x1024MB SODIMM. The same sort of behavior holds true in this kind of configuration as well.
Huh, interesting. Last time I would have looked into it was when Dual channel first came out... past then it has always made sense to run the whole system as a dual(triple) channel for performance... even with this you would expect your system to drop off in performance suddenly under any heavy memory usage. Its cool to know your not completely cornered into single channel with 3 DIMMs.
Old April 9, 2011, 12:08 PM
Banned
F@H

was refering to amd boards :)

ive had inhell's dual chan thingie quite clear for a long whuile.

danke