Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2011, 11:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Nothing above here has worked, a repair install fails as the machine is so busted out, I believe the hard drive was bad as it wouldn't format or clear with killdisk or any other tools, the motherboards serial points to nothing on the internet and the only details I can find about the model aren't this pc, the model on the pc shows it with sata connections and the works, except this is a IDE pc and has half the ram has the model on the internet is listed. Ram also has the serials blacked out with perm marker, keep in mind the guy who bought this got majorly ripped off has he was told it was a beast machine cause it was a "alien ware" so I'm starting to think the first guy who sold it had just found a alienware case and rigged this up and sold it as a premium. I did manage to get it a new hard drive and got to install XP on it as well, also I found out the reason why it wasn't booting in the first place, the hard drive was removed from the boot devices list, and was also unplugged. Once plugged in it just popped up with missing system file errors like mad and I suspect it's from the 50 or so freeware games the guy had installed on it and possibly all the spyware/viruses that would've come with that. Now to just go add the few programs they wanted with ninite :)

Edit: All done, easily the funniest $200 to make :D

Last edited by Blu; March 31, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old March 31, 2011, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The HD is bad if the manufacturers testing software says it's bad. Even then it might not be bad. Change the sata / ide cable first.
Old March 31, 2011, 07:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure about this though i thought memtest86 would give you some details/specs on RAM when you ran it, though its been so long since i've had to use it i'm not certain
Old March 31, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

When in doubt reinstall windows. That's what I always do with these old machines that have been used by people that DL and install everything on the Internet. :)

Regarding the memory, it is easy to tell what it is, just look at it lol. If there are no markings check the mb and it will be obvious what you are dealing with. Likely pc3200 DDR1.