Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2011, 08:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default potential gaming RAM disaster....HELP!!!

I come to you all with a heavy heart.........

Some of you who roam the overclocking and benchmark forums might remember me. I'm sankukai the guy who thought about overclocking my Q9400 in my modest G31M-S motherboard with my two brand-new Patriot ddr2 4 GB G-series memory sticks.

Well.... so far I have not OC my MB but I did run into a few problems while installing my new RAM. At first I thought that my MB would recognize the new memory's default speed of 400MHz after installation. It turns out that after I installed them, the computer would boot but would get stuck at the "initializing windows" screen. I returned to the BIOS and set memory speed to "auto" to see if that changed anything. It did as the computer booted normally and I entered into windows 7. I looked at CPZ-U and it said that indeed my memory speed had changed to 333Mhz and latency specs became 5-5-5-10. I was a little dissapointed to be honest because my previous PNY 4GB of ram worked at 400Mhz with no problem at all. I decided to go back to the BIOS screen and again change memory speed and settings manually to my new memory's stated specs (5-5-5-12 latency, 400 Mhz speed) but this time I decided to increase DRAM voltage to 1.965 because I thought that maybe the memory was not getting enough voltage to function properly( the online and packaging description says this memory works with 1.9 volts). This I did and then left the BIOS. The computer reset about 2 times and then I got a very scary BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. At that time I panicked and shut my PC off. I reset BIOS setting by shorting the jumpers and restarted the PC. Fearing the worst, I began to run MemTEst Pro to see if my memory was still OK but now my computer freezes every time after a few minutes when I begin running multiple copies of the program.

Did I just FRY or otherwise royally mess up my brand-new memory sticks? Is my motherboard the one that I just ****** up? Could any of my other components ( HDD, graphics card) be affected? I am totally mad at myself for being so ******* impatient and feel so completely desperate. Could any of you guys be kind enough to shed some light on what might have happened to me? How can I know for sure if my RAM or motherboard are damaged

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 15, 2011, 08:23 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'd suggest you first run Memtest86+ using a liveCD instead of running multiple instances of some memory test from within windows. Let it run through a loop or two with the RAM at factory settings. If it fails, remove one stick and try again. If you can isolate just one RAM stick that causes errors then it is most likely defective. If you still get errors no matter which stick you put in, try putting in a known-working stick from another system and try again - if This fails, then you may have a defective motherboard.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I'd suggest you first run Memtest86+ using a liveCD instead of running multiple instances of some memory test from within windows. Let it run through a loop or two with the RAM at factory settings. If it fails, remove one stick and try again. If you can isolate just one RAM stick that causes errors then it is most likely defective. If you still get errors no matter which stick you put in, try putting in a known-working stick from another system and try again - if This fails, then you may have a defective motherboard.
Thanks for the advise metaphor!!

But I'm also worried about what the Blue Screen of Death could mean in this case. DO BSDs usually mean some sort of irreparable hardware damage? Could the voltage increase I applied (1.965v)damage the RAM? It is brand new and supposedly built for "extreme performance".

About MemTest.....is the x86 version used to test 64-bit operating systems as well. If not which one could I use?

thanks
Old February 15, 2011, 08:43 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankukai View Post
Thanks for the advise metaphor!!

But I'm also worried about what the Blue Screen of Death could mean in this case. DO BSDs usually mean some sort of irreparable hardware damage? Could the voltage increase I applied (1.965v)damage the RAM? It is brand new and supposedly built for "extreme performance".

About MemTest.....is the x86 version used to test 64-bit operating systems as well. If not which one could I use?

thanks
- A BSOD can be either a hardware or software problem. But the best way to be sure is running the memtest first.
- 1.965v is a little high for DDR2, but IMO it should be able to take it without frying, specially since it has a heatspreader.
- Memtest x86 is fine, it will still scan all your ram for errors. Try it it out!
Old February 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't worry about the BSOD. It won't mean anything at this point.

Download and burn this: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20...+-4.20.iso.zip

Then insert cd and boot off it.

Everything CMetaphor said is absolutely correct.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Don't worry about the BSOD. It won't mean anything at this point.

Download and burn this: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20...+-4.20.iso.zip

Then insert cd and boot off it.

Everything CMetaphor said is absolutely correct.
Thanks so much Perineum!!! I will do the memory testing and see what happens. One question though..how long will the entire test take if I test all 8Gbs at once?
Old February 15, 2011, 09:04 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks so much Perineum!!! I will do the memory testing and see what happens. One question though..how long will the entire test take if I test all 8Gbs at once?
Its always a little different, depending on your system, but I would say around 45min - 1hr for 1 loop. And it's normally recommended to do 2 loops to ensure there's no ram problems... watch a movie?
Old February 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would set everything up to what the normal settings are then try using liveCD to run tests to see what is going on
Old February 15, 2011, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Its always a little different, depending on your system, but I would say around 45min - 1hr for 1 loop. And it's normally recommended to do 2 loops to ensure there's no ram problems... watch a movie?

Thanks again guys!!

But uh......I know the program itself is supposed to be rather simple to use but the thing is...I've never used it before and so don't really know how to set it up correctly. What options should I use once it loads up for the kind of testing I want?
Old February 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks again guys!!

But uh......I know the program itself is supposed to be rather simple to use but the thing is...I've never used it before and so don't really know how to set it up correctly. What options should I use once it loads up for the kind of testing I want?
Just let it run It starts the test automatically as soon as the CD runs. And it will go through each test one at a time in a loop. Just press Escape after its looped a couple times without errors.... or let us know what errors do show up (if any) and we'll help you from there.