Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2011, 05:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Glad to hear your RAM is ok, but thats only part of the battle...

That CPUz screenshot of your CPU.... Im definitely no Intel expert, but a Q9500 @ 2.6 should take a bit more than 1.1v no? (Check me on this intel guys... keep in mind that EIST wasn't running when that screenshot was taken - I.E. max unloaded freq.)

Did you reset everything to "factory defaults" or "optimized defaults" in your BIOS? A BSOD can happen if youre undervolting too!

Also, can you get into Safe Mode (press F8 many times after the initial POST screen, choose safe mode) without a BSOD? If you can, then you might just be looking at Windows corruption and should do a Windows repair or use a restore point to get back to before the BSOD occurred.

Let us know!

You're back Meta!

And to answer your question, yes at first I did reset everything back to factory defaults. Then, as I saw that things in general were stable again, I went back into the "CPU configuration" (remember I have an Asrock G31M-S MB)part of my BIOS and changed the "overclocked mode" from auto to optimized. I have done this before and it has yielded a tiny increase in my q9400 from 2.66 to 2.67 Ghz and has given me no trouble. Should I change this back to "auto" too?

As for accessing Safe Mode, I have not done that yet BUT I did go into the DOS command prompt to utilize what was until now (to me at least) a relatively unknown Win 7 function called System File Checker. According to the folks at the Win7 forums this little function can check whether your system files have been corrupted/damaged and tries to replace them with undamaged ones at their default state. I ran this little command (SFC /verifyonly) which is a "verification only" version of the original command and after it checked sys files for integrity it said that none had been compromised. Is this good enough to rest assured that my Windows sys files are OK?

Last edited by sankukai; February 16, 2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old February 16, 2011, 05:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
No need to get paranoid over anything. You're highly unlikely to have damaged anything regardless of how reckless you were with your BIOS settings. Chill out and treat yourself to a nice cold beverage.

Superfetch can eat up a lot of available ram, it usually won't affect performance in a bad way. In fact it's meant to make your loading times a lot faster for applications you frequently use. Basically, if you aren't getting error messages from Windows telling you that you don't have enough memory, you have enough memory.

That being said, superfetch shouldn't be eating up almost all your memory with no other applications in the background. Disable it and see if usage is still high, if it's still high run virus/malware scans to make sure you didn't get a virus or some form of malware.

Thanks for the encouragement Ilya!

Now where do I find this superfecht function you're talking about and how do I disable/tame it?
Old February 16, 2011, 06:12 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Definitely try Safe Mode ASAP then, because logging into Safe Mode and using without issues means your hardware problems are pretty much resolved.

Did you check for any restore points from before the BSOD? You can do that using the Windows 7 install disk.

Ill wait till some more Intel-savy gets back to me, but I don't remember processors from the Q9xx series requiring so little voltage. Their newer architecture sure, but not the "Core"-based ones I dont think. Again, any Intels guys can chime in at any time here... I just think that under 1.2v for a Q9400 seems a bit low, but I may be wrong on that.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

All right Meta!

I am now in Safe Mode and all seems to be normal

Is there anything else in particular I should be doing to further test the system's stability? In Safe Mode I mean. Well..perhaps an odd thing I noticed is that running CPUID on safe mode gave me an initial error code 0x2 and then it would load up but would not show me all CPU figures. This is normal in safe mode I assume, right?

As to your question about the processor's voltage, weren't the 45nm architecture manufactured processors supposedly much more energy-efficient than previous Intel multi-core processors ( I read this from amazon.com's page on q9400 processors.

Or....could it be because I have Asrock's IES (Intelligent Energy Saver) app installed?
The thing is...I have it installed but I don't believe it is actually activated.

Last edited by sankukai; February 16, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old February 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

yeah, the Q9xxx should be at least 1.3 volts. I have mine at 1.45 for overclocking. that's odd. and the tRFC of the ram is really, really high.

I'd fix that up first.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
yeah, the Q9xxx should be at least 1.3 volts. I have mine at 1.45 for overclocking. that's odd. and the tRFC of the ram is really, really high.

I'd fix that up first.

OK....... If that is the case, is my processor or the motherboard going down the tubes???

If not how, would I go about fixing the voltage problem without screwing up the whole system?

And what about the RAM's tRFC? Is that something I can fix or is it a symptom of a bigger problem?

I'm all ears guys
Old February 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

you can fix these things in the bios.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
you can fix these things in the bios.

Well...since I just had a mayor scare yesterday, I'm kind of treading lightly when it comes to BIOS manipulation. Could someone be kind enough to provide a sort of step by step guide on how to make these changes?

Like I said I am kind of traumatized after my little "tinkering" experience and do not want to mess with my BIOS unless I know EXACTLY what it is that I have to do

UPDATE: According to Intel Intel® Core what they call the "VID voltage range" for this processor is between 0.8500 and 1.3625V, so I guess my Q9400's voltage is within accepted factory limits. Any thoughts?

Last edited by sankukai; February 16, 2011 at 07:05 PM.