Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2011, 12:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I have yet to see a game make use of more than 4gb of ram. Even ram speed is pretty much a non factor in gaming performance.

Depending on your resolution, a video card or processor/platform "upgrade" (or overclock) are the only ways to net a performance gain in games. (or an SSD for loading times)

I remember reading a few articles at tom's hardware where it says that the amount of RAM does actually affect performance because usually graphic cards actually use more than the video memory they posses. More RAM means less use of the pagefile from the hard drive and thus a faster, more responsive experience and less HDD wear since more of the game data is loaded into the RAM and does not have have to accessed via the page-file as often.

Does anybody know anything else about this subject?
Old February 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

less HDD wear? XD tom's hardware is a load of crap. (well maybe not for SSDs..)

anyways, it's not just about the games, but also the background processes! yes a game might not take 4 or even 3 gigs, but the game isn't the only thing running on your computer, is it? :P
Old February 15, 2011, 01:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
less HDD wear? XD tom's hardware is a load of crap. (well maybe not for SSDs..)

anyways, it's not just about the games, but also the background processes! yes a game might not take 4 or even 3 gigs, but the game isn't the only thing running on your computer, is it? :P
No you are definitely right and according to what I've read about the game performance/RAM relationship, the more ram you have, the smoother your games will perform.

What I want to know is whether having 8 GBs of RAM clocked at 333Mhz will result in better overall gaming performance than having 4Gbs of RAM clocked at 400Mhz.

For those wondering these are my system specs

Core2Quad q9400 2.66
G31M-S motherboard
WDC 320 GB hard drive
Radeon HD 6870

Also...now that I mentioned motherboards, is there any app you guys would recommend to test whether my motherboard is operating correctly or if it suffered any damage from my previous tinkering with RAM voltage and the like?

Would appreciate any suggestion

Last edited by sankukai; February 15, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

it could go both ways, depending on how much ram is being used by said game and the rest of the system. most likely though overall there will be a slight, slight decrease in performance. like less then 3%

do us a favour and take a screenshot of every tab in CPU-Z (program. google it.)
Old February 15, 2011, 05:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
it could go both ways, depending on how much ram is being used by said game and the rest of the system. most likely though overall there will be a slight, slight decrease in performance. like less then 3%

do us a favour and take a screenshot of every tab in CPU-Z (program. google it.)

UPDATE: After about 6 hours since I began running it, the memtest86+ program just finished its third test cycle( or run or loop or however else its testing period is called) and it reports NO errors in my memory! Horaaay!!!!!!

Ok guys, so now that I'm fairly sure that my RAM is OK, how do I test my MB to see if its OK too or if I need to start thinking about a replacement in the near or medium future???

I'll also upload CPUID screeenshots as soon as I can ( I'm actually finishing some paperwork I brought home from my work)

Last edited by sankukai; February 15, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it is passing memtest but BSOD in windows I will again ask what is the voltage while in windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 15, 2011, 06:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Here are my CPUID screenshots:

Well guys....what do you think????
Attached Images

Last edited by sankukai; February 15, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Eh....guys, I just noticed something weird in my OS. I decided to bring up the Windows task manager and look at the resource monitor, specifically the tab that shows memory activity. For a while the "standby" portion of system memory just shot up to a ridiculous amount ( over 6, almost 7 gigs) and the " free" portion of it came down to approximately 14 or 16 MB of memory. I was not runing any major program or apps at the time it happened so it was kind of a "shock" to me. Is this something normal and I'm just being paranoid after what I went through yesterday.......or is this something I should be concerned about???
Old February 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankukai View Post
Eh....guys, I just noticed something weird in my OS. I decided to bring up the Windows task manager and look at the resource monitor, specifically the tab that shows memory activity. For a while the "standby" portion of system memory just shot up to a ridiculous amount ( over 6, almost 7 gigs) and the " free" portion of it came down to approximately 14 or 16 MB of memory. I was not runing any major program or apps at the time it happened so it was kind of a "shock" to me. Is this something normal and I'm just being paranoid after what I went through yesterday.......or is this something I should be concerned about???
No need to get paranoid over anything. You're highly unlikely to have damaged anything regardless of how reckless you were with your BIOS settings. Chill out and treat yourself to a nice cold beverage.

Superfetch can eat up a lot of available ram, it usually won't affect performance in a bad way. In fact it's meant to make your loading times a lot faster for applications you frequently use. Basically, if you aren't getting error messages from Windows telling you that you don't have enough memory, you have enough memory.

That being said, superfetch shouldn't be eating up almost all your memory with no other applications in the background. Disable it and see if usage is still high, if it's still high run virus/malware scans to make sure you didn't get a virus or some form of malware.
Old February 16, 2011, 04:22 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Glad to hear your RAM is ok, but thats only part of the battle...

That CPUz screenshot of your CPU.... Im definitely no Intel expert, but a Q9500 @ 2.6 should take a bit more than 1.1v no? (Check me on this intel guys... keep in mind that EIST wasn't running when that screenshot was taken - I.E. max unloaded freq.)

Did you reset everything to "factory defaults" or "optimized defaults" in your BIOS? A BSOD can happen if youre undervolting too!

Also, can you get into Safe Mode (press F8 many times after the initial POST screen, choose safe mode) without a BSOD? If you can, then you might just be looking at Windows corruption and should do a Windows repair or use a restore point to get back to before the BSOD occurred.

Let us know!