Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Default Ram types?

Hey there. I'm new to the forums but from what I've seen, I'm glad I have found this place!

I was hoping someone could explain something for me as I am a bit uncertain over the differences. What is the difference between ECC Registered memory and Fully Buffered. I know the difference between ECC and non-ECC but registered is a new term. Will the motherboard have a say in the type of memory used in a system?

Thanks for any response.

Have a great day,

Paul
Old January 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
Rookie

Fully-Buffered is exclusively for servers/workstations, you'll see them in MacPro systems.
Buffered/Registered are different from Fully-Buffered in operation and are not interchangable. Buffered/Registered is also for servers/workstations. Fully-Buffered is ONLY in Intel server systems.
Unbuffered is used on nearly ALL desktop / laptop systems. Let me put it this way, if you have to ask if you need Registered/Fully-Buffered, then you probably don't since the servers they are used on are very expensive.
You can wiki ECC / Non-ECC on wikipedia for an explanation, you can use ECC on Non-ECC systems (ECC will be disabled) but it depends on the BIOS as some OEM's block out ECC if not supported even if it will work (don't ask). Anyway, hope that clears it a bit. If you have doubts, read the motherboard manual! :)
Old January 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

demon made agreat explanation but if u stil dont get it this is good one also from the Corsair forums Do I Want Registered Memory or Un-buffered Memory? - The Corsair Support Forums and ECC: What Is It, and Why Would I Pay Extra For It? - The Corsair Support Forums happy tweaking
Old January 21, 2008, 02:12 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the response guys!

Paul