Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   RAM Recommendations for Sandy Bridge? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/39733-ram-recommendations-sandy-bridge.html)

cloneman January 9, 2011 05:47 PM

RAM Recommendations for Sandy Bridge?

Any tips on which ram I should be getting? (for i5-2500K & Asus ASUS P8P67 pro)

looking for 2x2gb or 2x4gb kits.

I heard that 1.5v RAM is easier to setup than 1.65v RAM, less tweaking.... what is the advantage to higher voltage ram? Is it better for overclocking?

I'm thinking of getting this stuff:

NCIX.com - Buy Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C9AD3B1K2/4G 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit - KHX1600C9AD3B1K2/4G In Canada.

or maybe the 1.65v version.

Or maybe a similar G.SKill set on NCIX's sale page.

IN summary:

Should I get:

- 1.5v or 1.65v
- 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz
- expensive uber-heatsink ram or medium priced kingston/gskill/crucial

I want some overclock potential (cpu overclocking, not RAM overclocking unless I have to like FSB overclocking), priority focus is on stability mainly though.

Vittra January 9, 2011 06:22 PM

No such thing as FSB clocking. Most people prefer lower voltage ram as it can always be overclocked. A good amount of the ram you actually see out there uses the same chips and have the same capabilities, so a little research goes a long way.

Go with 2x4GB. Ram is pretty cheap now so for about $30 more you have double the amount you'd have otherwise. I'd say aim for a 1600mhz/1.5V and you should be good. If you really aren't concerned, 1333 will suit you just fine.

I ended up picking up G.Skill 2x4GB Eco 1.35V 1600mhz kit after the Corsair Vengeance ram heatspreaders proved to be far too tall for my setup, but is isn't cheap in the slightest. Low voltage ram still packs a premium.

martin_metal_88 January 9, 2011 07:36 PM

Anything from G.skill, Corsair, mushkin and patriot will be fine. For cheaper ram go with Corsair CVS or kingston KVR.

gingerbee January 9, 2011 08:42 PM

corsair/gskill or even the a-data are some of my fav's and when it comes to voltage i like lower voltage myself but find i can get easier overclocks with 1.65 but not always higher just easier is all. from my experience :thumb:

cloneman January 9, 2011 09:31 PM

thanks for the replies. So ultimately, low voltage ram isn't "slower"?

martin_metal_88 January 9, 2011 09:58 PM

nop. Low voltage ram are just some kit that can run with less power. You could put them to the same voltage that a regular kit use and it would be the same. If you need to OC them, just bump it a bit.

_dangtx_ January 9, 2011 10:24 PM

well it depends some kits,called 'green', have a bit lower voltage but usually are a bit more laxed.

either way, dont get ocz, as the saying goes around here. right martin?

martin_metal_88 January 9, 2011 11:25 PM

Dan you know me to well:P
But, when you can get G.skill or corsair for pretty cheap with the vengeance and ripjaw series, what's the point of buying OCZ???

zsamz_ January 10, 2011 07:35 AM

just remember you get what you pay for