Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2011, 01:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Setting up DDR3 Ram in BOIS

Hi again guys,

The last thing I have to do on my new Rig is set the Ram up in BOIS. Everything is on Auto and I've returned BOIS to default again.

ASUS M4A79XTD Evo
Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT

1.1.0.L72 American MegaTrends Inc BOIS

Now I've once again done LOTS of reading and have figured out that setting up the Ram should be very hard. I have all my Ram specs and just need to enter the info into BOIS.... easy enough. Nope!

My first try was ---> 1.64v / 1600mhz / Set the Ai OverClock Tuner to Manual / 9 9 9 27 / then enter the DRAM Command Rate to Auto. Once again I think Im a BOIS master. Run my rig. Do some tests on my Video card. About 20% performance increase...Hmm not bad. Play a game now, BLUE screen. Now I go run a Memtest86+ .......the Ram FAILS.
Now I try and mess with the settings abit. Change Auto to T1/ T2. Then I try messing with Timing. Then up'ing the voltage to 1.66v.

I just don't understand. Should be pretty straight forward No. Ram has only one set of spec...I should be able to just enter the data and Bam! Done.

What am I doing WRONG, how do I setup the ram to run at its proper settings. PLS help guys!!

Old January 7, 2011, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am starting to think your ram has a problem running at said 1600mhz if even after setting it to the right voltage it still fails. you should not have to change the timings at all. i have no experience with your board sorry. you may have a bad stick/s only at 1600mhz i have had this happen where some sticks just don't run at rated xmp speeds. sucks the big one but do they all pass if you run them at 1333@1.5v
Old January 7, 2011, 06:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hey Gingerbee, Good to hear from you again bro. Im starting to think so too. Thats a good idea seeing if it would run fine at 1333@1.5v The thing is that my mobo does support 1600mhz, even 1800 O.C. Im kinda thinking though, that theres a few steps im missing because Asus here has all kinda's of features that might clash or lock it from being changed from auto or default. /SIGH I just don't know. I wish it was more simple.... maybe your right and the Ram just ain't great for this mobo. It passes all the test at default though. Anyhow.. I'll try your advice 1333mhz/1.5v ?? 1.5v ?? will this be the right Voltage for 1333mhz?

"YaHoo"!
"It's Friday"!!
Old January 7, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

check your ram setting under cpuz it will give the jedec specs for it then apply what they say.
Old January 9, 2011, 07:12 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks gingerbee, I've tried it and it didn't work. I tired Overclock Profile setting in the Ai Overclock Tuner Area in the BOIS, set it to 10% increase (which is the highest)..... it's working great. So default and the Overclock Profile works. That 10% overclocks my whole system. The ram now shows a 10% increase and is now reading 586.7mhz in CPUZ. My Ram is still not set to its proper setting. Now finding this Ai overclocking setting, I should be able to set my ram to its proper setting of 1600mhz and then add the 10% overclock Profile to it. Lol.. now Im happy and mad at the same time. /shakeHead !!
Old January 9, 2011, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i see why cause you should not have to overclock your ram to get it to it's rated speed you could always rma it and try again with a new kit i don't play with amd all the much lately was hoping 1 of the amd boys would chime in to amke sure were not missing something here, but like i said ram should run at rated speed just by setting the right V adn the set it to the right speed. funny thing is i have 2 sticks of that corsair and em loving it cause it overclocks great for me have hit almost 2000mhz affective with it on a fvcking h55 board ( great board and great chips to overclock ) intel fan boy
Old January 9, 2011, 07:23 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

You know Gingerbee... your probably right when you said my ram is defaulty. "I've Tried Everythng Here, believe me" so when I get some extra cash im going to get a 2g 1600mhz stick of ram from another company and try it. Hmmmmm...... it just bugs me knowing that it tests fine on default and on Overclock profile. If it defaulty....it should be defaulty, Right?

0.o
Old January 9, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well it may have just slipped by when they were binning ram modules it happens some times i have had ram that was rated for 1600mhz and could not even run close to that at it's rated 1.5v but then i hear some members here running kvr ( Kingston value ram ) at like 1.3/1.4 rated speeds just wicked when you think about it em em lowfat ( i personal never bothered to try under-volting any of my ram )
Old January 9, 2011, 07:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

0.0 2000mhz Wow! /Cry mine is suppose to able to OC to that too....... /Cry /Cry you know Im about 99.99% sure im missing a few or one step in setting this Ram right. My last step here is too try to contact a Tech support guys who know this ram and Mobo. get him to run me through the step to seeting the ram.

You know... when you buy a windows 7 64 bit OS its not set a windows xp 32 bit at default and you have to F%$# with it. you don't buy a PSU at 700 but its set at 350 default and ETC..... if the Rams proper setting is 1600mhz, it should set 1600mhz by default. if you would it to be less or more then you have the option to OC it if you like..... that my opinion. :-\
Old January 9, 2011, 07:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i know what your saying it's done that way cause amd/intel official ram support is 1333 hence the 1333 default. but i really don't think your missing anything cause it is really simple.

1. set dram voltage
2. set ram speed to 1600mhz.
3 reboot= done.

just wondering what does it's xmp setting say under cpuz and have you tried these setting ( which i think you have )