Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2011, 08:10 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Name:  Screen Shot.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  120.5 KB

Believe me.....you are soooo RIGHT, it shouldn't be hard. I've tried it all. Im missing something though, I betcha!
Old January 9, 2011, 08:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hmmmm...... stupid question here. notice it says slot #4, I have my ram in slots 3-4. maybe I should be putting them in slots 1-2. I really don't think it matters...... 1-2 are one channel as 3-4 are another. Its NOT 1-3 a channel, 2-4 a channel as normally. If I did have each stick in different channels it still would be set to 1600mhz. Hmm.. thought I would through that out there.
Old January 9, 2011, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

same color to same color for dual channel. but try 1 stick at a time and see where that gets you. if you check the other memory page under cpu it will say dc mode if it does then your in dual channel mode. if it's got nothing there then your not.
Old January 9, 2011, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Absolutely try DIMM slots 1-2. Some boards are finicky and WILL care which slots you put them into. Also as gingerbee has suggested (and I would have if he had not), try just putting 1 piece of RAM either in Slot 1 or slot 3 and running memtest again. If the board works fine with one, then test the other one in the same manner. If one of them is bad, this should turn up something.

Old January 9, 2011, 10:50 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Absolutely try DIMM slots 1-2. Some boards are finicky and WILL care which slots you put them into. Also as gingerbee has suggested (and I would have if he had not), try just putting 1 piece of RAM either in Slot 1 or slot 3 and running memtest again. If the board works fine with one, then test the other one in the same manner. If one of them is bad, this should turn up something.

I've had to check one stick at a time also. It's usually the last stick that you check buy I bet he's got one bad stick. If the ram you bought is 1600 is should have no problems running at the 1333 speeds unless you have one bad stick.
Old January 10, 2011, 07:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hey guys,

Just a little update here for ya's. I've tried all your ideas and nothing......BUT! Gingerbee mentioned one little thing "DC Mode" What the F%$#@ is DC Mode? Lets investigate. Next to DC Mode in CPU Z there a word call unganged, WTF is unganged? lets search for this setting in the BOIS. kinda hard to find but when I did my options where unganged / ganged. Hmmm..... lets select ganged. Lets run Memtest86+..... YAHOO! both my sticks passed and work at there proper setting now!!!! :-) The think that helped me figure this out was gingerbee's hint there and when I put one stick at a time in. They passed the test and when I put both in...they failed. Hmmm? They needed to be ganged together. Go figure... I knew it was something simple. /shakehead!

Oh, Ah.... one issue here though. /CRY After about 20 minutes of gaming my rig freezes and a loud shity sound screams out of my speakers, stays like that tilll I reset my rig. F$#@!!!!! what the hell is NOW my issue! Frick!
Any idea's now smarty pants!

I need a Beer!
Old January 10, 2011, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Frickin strange cause if you read what ganged means it pretty simple basically lets you to use your ram in dual channel vs single channel. Ganged dual channel mode for ram means All cores get access to 100% of the ram. unganged means single channel. Each core gets access to a stick of ram. so really not sure whats going on
Old January 11, 2011, 08:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm surprised the board wouldn't default to ganged with two DIMMs populated if that is indeed a dual channel setting. Strange. I've never had cause to own a Phenom myself, so I've never encountered this.

Are you sure your system is actually stable though? Have you run Prime95, IntelBurntest, Orthos, ANYTHING to test the stability? Even with everything at stock and memtest passing, it's best to check this out.

Old February 10, 2011, 05:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hey guys, just a small update here. My ram issues where a simple BIOS update. After the BIOS update, I entered the proper Ram Info from SPD...... haven't had any problems now. Sweet! Go figure, Eh!

"BUT"....... silly me, I didn't test the Ram after words. I was pretty content that it just worked fine. So I thought I would test it to put the Old Ram issue to Final rest. Late night before bed I ran Memtest86+ and wake up too a screen full of RED. WTF! Go figure...thats my luck! So the Ram WORKS fine but still Fails! Just for shit and giggles I tried the AI overclock tuner in the BIOS. I set it 10% overclock (save & exit) OS didn't even come on.......... had to go back to the BIOS and set it to Auto again. Sigh!

:-\ Any comments on my crappy luck!

Thanks
Old February 10, 2011, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya you have shitty luck when it comes to ram i guess but i would rma any that fails that's just me. good luck at least it's running at set speed now