Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2011, 01:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Mixing RAM Brands/Specs okay?

Hi, I want to take advantage of the cheap RAM prices now and buy a 12GB kit:
NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 12GB 3X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory - 998770 In Canada.

and I currently have 6GB of:
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - OCZ3G1600LV6GK In Canada.

The brands differ, the timings differ, and the frequency differs. Can I install both kits of RAM for 18GB total RAM? Will the speeds and latencies be reduced/increased (respectively) to the most restrictive level? That is, will the OCZ Gold 1600mhz downclock itself to 1333mhz (due to the Mushkin kit)? The frequency is not too big of an issue to me, since I am currently running my RAM below specification. Thanks.
Old January 1, 2011, 02:23 PM
Banned
F@H

you answered it yourself :)

basically the lowest one can do, applies to the other. and loosest when it comes to latencies, so you might want to set them before dropping the extra kit in. juice too, if needed.

now,out of curiosity, what do you do with 18 gigs of ram, if i may ask? :)
Old January 1, 2011, 02:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

a lot of folks are going to jump in and say that you shouldn't do it, and question why you want so much memory, and that you don't need it, and, and, and...

but the reality is that any memory can play with any memory. memory doesn't have feelings or emotions...it does what you tell it to do, and will run as long as you tell it to do the right thing. you will likely need to manually set timings/voltages/frequency for memory and the CPU, but it shouldn't be a problem. i have been playing with all kinds of 2gb and 4gb module combination's lately and everything works fine when manually setting everything.

for instance. i have 2 sticks of 4GB from this kit reviewed here along with 3 sticks of Dominator GTX2's reviewed here, and another 4GB stick from an upcoming review of RipJaws that is a different IC than on the FlexEX modules...and guess what, they all work together just fine.

and running fine...

obviously i know very little of your system, AKA what motherboard/CPU you are using, or your abilities to adjust settings or test, and stabalize such a mishmash of memory. and every kit of memory is going to be different and some very well might not play nice...but i would be willing to be i can get pretty much any kind of combo working on modern hardware.

don't be scared off of trying it by people who are basing answers on limited abilities or hardware from 3 years ago.

just my two cents based on real world experience from less than 5 minutes ago
Old January 1, 2011, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup what he said just set it right and away you go. said very well in reality
Old January 1, 2011, 04:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the detailed answer. It definitely gives me the confidence to purchase another set of RAM. As for the use of RAM, I need it for folding and gaming, as well as using VM's to run programs that aren't supported in Windows 7. I also do 3D modelling which takes quite a bit of memory when there are multiple parts open and large assemblies.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Alright I ordered the Mushkin 12gb ram kit and it should be at my local NCIX in the next couple of days. So I have another question: does it matter which channel each kit goes? Like should the 4GB sticks go in 1, 3, 5 and the 2GB sticks go in 2, 4, 6 (or vice versa)? Of couse, I'm NOT going to mix them in the same channel lol (4gb sticks in 1, 2, 3, 2gb sticks in 4, 5, 6). I ask this because maybe channel 1 has priority over channel 2 or something, so the bigger capacities should be in channel 1? I dunno...
Old January 5, 2011, 05:28 AM

nope, it shouldn't matter at all.

just remember to set the frequency/timings to the lowest rated kit before putting all the memory in, and bump QPI/Vtt voltage a little. you can always test for stability and start lowering voltages afterward. keep up posted on how it goes or if you run into any problems.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:17 AM

That about sums it up. However, as jody predicted I have to add the comment that you arent going to use 18GB of memory no matter what you run with your PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
just remember to set the frequency/timings to the lowest rated kit before putting all the memory in, and bump QPI/Vtt voltage a little.
Old January 5, 2011, 04:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

lol yeah, I guess not, but it's definitely a conversation piece among semi-enthusiasts (my friends). Reducing clocks to lowest specs is definitely something I will need to keep in mind. Thanks for the heads up, and thanks to everyone who responded.
Old January 5, 2011, 06:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
...any memory can play with any memory. memory doesn't have feelings or emotions...it does what you tell it to do, and will run as long as you tell it to do the right thing.

True and comical. A+ answer.