Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2010, 05:55 PM
Top Prospect

Default Corsair Vengence Ram

Hey all!

Just a quick question....

I have an Asus P6T SE Mobo with 12 GB of OCZ RAM in it. Now my motherboard only supports 4 sticks of this ram, so I'm only getting 8 GB of Ram. I know, I should have did my research.. but at the time I assumed that ram did not work on certain motherboards

I noticed just today that my local store is selling Corsair Vengence 12 GB kits (3x4gb sticks). If I were to replace the 6 sticks I have with these 3 sticks, would I get the full 12 GB? This ram is too new to be on the ram QVL I have and this motherboard doesnt seem to be showing up on Asus's website anymore....

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Old December 31, 2010, 07:27 PM

Recommended RAM capacities for your board:

4GB - 2x 2GB
8GB - 2x 4GB
16GB - 4x 4GB

12GB is an oddball amount of RAM for a dual channel board.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 31, 2010, 07:38 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Recommended RAM capacities for your board:

4GB - 2x 2GB
8GB - 2x 4GB
16GB - 4x 4GB

12GB is an oddball amount of RAM for a dual channel board.
uh, no. Its a triple channel board with the i7 920 in it. I currently have 6 sticks of ram in it. Asus P6T SE lga 1366 mobo.
Old January 1, 2011, 12:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

So you motherboard has 6 DIMM slots but only supports 4? Or do you have 6 sticks installed, 2 of which are not detected, and therefore only have 4x2GB for a total of 8GB? If you have a triple channel board with 3x4GB sticks installed, there shouldn't be any problems.
Old January 2, 2011, 11:24 AM
Top Prospect

the ram is not fully supported. if you look on the memory support list from asus, it only supports 4 of the sticks of this kind of ram. so even though i have 6 sticks of the ram in it, only 4 of them are recognized and used. The only time i use 8 gb of ram is while im using after effects, but having the 12 gb of ram i paid for would be nice, lol. im thinking of selling the ocz ram i have in my rig and replacing them with corsair vengeance 12gb 3 stick kit.
Old January 2, 2011, 11:28 AM

Lol wow. Epic misread of your thread.

You said something about your motherboard only supporting 4 sticks of RAM and I figured you were on 1156.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old January 2, 2011, 12:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you really need 12gb of RAM... (servers generally)
I'd save the money and just run on 3x2gb.
That gives you tripple channel at least.

But to answer your question I'd guess it would run the 3x4gb sticks in tripple channel fine and you would get the full 12gb available since you said the limitation is 4 sticks of RAM and the board is designed for tripple channel.
You might try posting on Corsair site and see if the mods show up. (long weekend so probably have to wait for a reply)
Old January 2, 2011, 03:13 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Lol wow. Epic misread of your thread.

You said something about your motherboard only supporting 4 sticks of RAM and I figured you were on 1156.
haha, sorry. I'll try to describe it a little clearer next time. lol.
Old January 2, 2011, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeHobbit View Post
Unless you really need 12gb of RAM... (servers generally)
I'd save the money and just run on 3x2gb.
That gives you tripple channel at least.

But to answer your question I'd guess it would run the 3x4gb sticks in tripple channel fine and you would get the full 12gb available since you said the limitation is 4 sticks of RAM and the board is designed for tripple channel.
You might try posting on Corsair site and see if the mods show up. (long weekend so probably have to wait for a reply)
I have no problem getting the new ram if i can sell the old ones... im not so worried about saving a bit of money, but I just wanna know if they'll work before I spend it. I know the main uses of ram and what you would need it for. I use some professional programs and such like maya, and a few adobe programs, so I use quite a bit of ram. I'll try posting it on corsair for a more accurate answer. thanks anyways!
Old January 9, 2011, 10:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know this sounds weird, but have you tried changing which piece of ram is in which DIMM slot when running the full 12GB? There was actually a thread on hardforum not to long ago that addressed the fact that 1366 (and 1156) boards would at times not display the full 12GB, or sometimes would and then randomly STOP showing the full 12GB, and it was not limited to any particular model or even brand. Some people were able to get the full 12GB back by simply switching around their RAM and there were a few other methods. QVL lists aren't always entirely accurate. I was able to find the thread.. check it out: RAM Issues on X58 Boards - [H]ard|Forum