Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2010, 06:53 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Can I upgrade my ram capacity with these?

I'm planning on pulling the trigger on these bad boys... since after the MIR they are 40 dollars including tax.

NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 4GB 2X2GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit - 996768 In Canada.

Right now I have G.skill ECO with a frequency of 1600mhz ram and with timings of 7 - 8 - 7 - 4. Now I know that the set of ram that I want to buy has a lower frequency and higher ram timings andddd a different voltage setting. However, because I OCed my 860 to 4 ghz, thus I had to lower the ram freq. multiplier ( i'm out of touch with the terms) to 1200mhz.

My thoughts are, if the speed difference isn't significant for my applications (i can't really name anything out of the top of my head that would need ram speeds up there) would the muskin ram set work? I'm wondering if it would be a hassle to install this ram with the ECO ram that I already have in my system.

The reason why I don't want to buy another set of ECOs is because they are expensive comparatively. I shouldn't have bought my set of ram... but the worse got to me lol. Also the reason why I want to upgrade my ram capacity is because I'm thinking about doing a VM with linux.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

If both sets can run stable with identical timing, voltages and sub-timings, you might be able to have your PC run smoothly. It's a gamble to mix kits though, and not really recommended...

Maybe you could get 2 kits of Mushkin, and sell your G.Skill?

Old December 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It'll be just as cheap and easier to get a set of 2x4GB at a faster speed and keep your current set as a backup. Or you could get some money back by selling it.

RAM prices have dropped quite a bit lately, I doubt they'll keep dropping past Boxing day though, been hearing rumours about Toshiba and Samsung plants experiencing power outages. Power outages that actually affect production usually change prices until a good 3 months down the line though. A random typhoon in Taiwan is far more likely to do so.
Old December 18, 2010, 12:42 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

dam... the last thing i want to do is to sell my g.skill ram =( lol i actually like the ram
Old December 21, 2010, 02:26 PM
MVP

In the past iv mixed different types of OCZ ram and it ran fine at the slower rams speeds.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock