Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2010, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default all my ram is not being used why

OK like is says all my ram is not being seen by the os it shows up in cpuz and everest but for some reason it's not working in the os or the bios cause it also show only 2gb in use.

now I have had this problem before but i was always able to fix with the memory remap but does not seem to be working. specs for all those that may help. oh it was showing 3 gigs till i update my cpu from a i3 530 to an i7 860 and i just updated the bios to make sure it was not the issue. any help at all or even pointing me in the write direction would be great i normally can work these out myself ( tech for hire again lol )

MY thinking is i am just missing something here that's right in from of me oh and this ram works fine already tested.

mb= p7h55-m pro
cpu= i7 860
ram= 3x 1 gb sticks of aeneon 1600 mhz@1.5v
gpu= gtx 460 gf 104 core if it matter don't see why it would
ps seasonic 500 m12d

it's my htpc if you need more specs not sure why more would be needed thanks for any help at all guys/gals
Old November 28, 2010, 06:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

reseat cpu perhaps?
i know it happened with 1366 i don't know if it's the same for the 1156
make sure all sticks are locked in the slots shile you're there
Old November 28, 2010, 07:43 AM
Top Prospect

When you report your specs you should include what verision of your OS, 32bit or 64bit
Rough explanation(very).
OS's which are only 32 bit reconize 4Ggb of memory
From the 3gb to 4gb range is reserved for devices, 32bit OS does not reconize anything above 3Gb.
I forget the limit on 64bit systems(128terabyte or something like that)

Plus you are trying to use a triple channel memory set in a dual channel board.
Even though I'm not an Intel guy, I'm sure that you should fill your memory slots equally(ie:2x1Gb, 4x1Gb, 2x2Gb, 4x2Gb,etc....)
Old November 28, 2010, 08:22 AM
MVP

deleted

Last edited by N.V.M.; January 1, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old November 28, 2010, 08:24 AM
Banned
F@H

run something memory intensive like prime95 and see if it goes up. if memtest,at boot, sees it and tests it then theres no issues hw wise
Old November 28, 2010, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well most will know that i never use x64 os but your right i forgot to add that i mean why use a x32 at all makes no sense to me. and of course i already check about it running in what mode board manually and web site says it should run fine. maybe you could explain what else would be needed really not trying to sound like a dick i just forget to mention things all the time.

talking about the whole dual channel issue the manually says it will be reallocated just fine. and like i said it was working a couple days ago with an i3 530 so. and sorry but i thought joking about me being a tech would have clued you in that your covering all the basic which i would have covered already this is more of a hardware issue thinking that it has something to do with the imc in the i7 860. but i will solve it one way or another. and no you don't have to fill them equally thanks for the suggestions guys/gals keep them coming it all helps i never know what i might forget
Old November 28, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
run something memory intensive like prime95 and see if it goes up. if memtest,at boot, sees it and tests it then theres no issues hw wise
ya i ran memtest it show up fine and it's in cpuz so thinking this is weird
Old November 28, 2010, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you should fill your memory slots equally(ie:2x1Gb, 4x1Gb, 2x2Gb, 4x2Gb,etc....)

If its Like X58 like mine yep thats our problem, bord will not see a single stick need two to work.

EDIT : My: X58 needs sets of three
Old November 28, 2010, 09:02 AM
MVP

deleted

Last edited by N.V.M.; January 1, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old November 28, 2010, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no i have not set it to 1600 it will run at those speeds fine. and even on my x58 i never had a problem getting it to run offset ram sticks just all of a sudden it did it but going to try some stuff now and will get back to this thread after i see what happens lol.