Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavat23 View Post
That memory runs at 5-5-5-18 at 1.8v

I should be able to squeeze out 4-4-4-12@2.0v@~850???

Right???

And I can cache a game (~4GB) into the memory with 8gb of ram. Correct??
Not sure about the timings but no you can't cache a game..where did you hear that one?
Old December 24, 2007, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Not sure about the timings but no you can't cache a game..where did you hear that one?
Windows Vista caches your most used programs into the ram. That is why in the task manager, you would always see that only 5-7mb are free, no matter what. Vista caches all your most used programs that can fit into the ram. I have my Itunes, Firefox, and many more programs cached in the ram which results in them opening and operating faster.

So, why can't you cache a game into the ram? I don't know, but this should be possible, as long as you have enough ram. I know for a fact that virtual machines can be cached into ram, making them work as much as 800% faster. So this should be possible with games. Right?

Anyone agree? Or am I completely wrong.
Old December 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:

Right???

I would say 5-4-4 850 2.0v would be likely, but there is no guarantee.

No idea about the game caching thing, never heard of that, plus my copy of vista was overwritten with XP months ago.
Old December 24, 2007, 09:26 AM

Hmm, interesting idea. I guess that you could make a 4gb Ramdrive, load the full game onto the ramdrive (like we used to do with windows 3.1 and DOS...made it load uber fast ) and that would leave you 4 gigs for OS and game to use. I doubt if any game would take advantage of more than 4GB right now. BUT you would have to remake the ram drive and reload all the data every time you powered down...unless you made a batch file to run on startup...which would slow startups some.

IF you do it, please let us know how it worked out!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 24, 2007, 09:29 AM
Allstar

As mentioned, Vista's Superfetch feature will utilize around 30-40% of your physical memory for caching your most used programs ... That's a solid 2.5-3 GB of your 8 GB of RAM, so if you play a game a lot, yes, it will cache that game ...
Old December 24, 2007, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

Sweet.

I will make a ram drive that is approx 4-5gb. Load a game onto that.

That will leave 3-4gb for OS and background programs.

Hopefully this will work.

I will post results when I get the ram (in 3-5 days).

In theory this will work.
Old December 24, 2007, 09:57 AM
Top Prospect

Wait.

Windows XP is appox. ~2gb in size.

What if I load the entire operating system on the ram itself in the form of a ram drive?
Old December 24, 2007, 11:08 AM

Probably not. What you are descibing is a Gigabyte I-Drive on the cheap. BUT the gigabyte has a built in battery so even when you reboot/ turn off system (but don't unplug the comp for 30 days or more) your Ramdrive doesn't get wiped clean.

We could do it with win 3.11 because it was just another program and the DOS was the boot loader. You would need another copy of XP to act as the boot loader...which sort of defeats the purpose.

OR you really need to to do a kludge to get XP to load via the ramdrive. You would need to get XP to shadowcopy everything on the ramdrive to a physical hard drive, then have a simple OS (like DOS for example) installed to act as your boot loader, then in the autoexec.bat have a line or two that recreates the ramdrive, loads the full OS back onto the ramdrive and THEN somehow fool XP into loading "normally". Kludgey to say the least & definitely a big OLD PITA.

Personally just VM Ware XP/vista and use your sandboxed OS as your everyday OS (sans games). Or buy a Gigabyte I-Drive...or 2 and RAID them. BUT don't expect 5 second start ups...or 800% increase in speeds. You will saturate the SATA bus long before 800% happens...still freaking fast though .

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 24, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

Right???

I wouldn't hold my breath for 4-4-4-12@ 2V if I were you. 2GB modules just don't tighten up and clock as well as 1GB modules.

As for being able to cache a game, I doubt Windows will do that. 8GB of ram is useless. I don't know for sure, but it depends on how much ram Widows will give a program will determine how much it can use.