Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2010, 06:52 AM
Rookie

Default Dual Channel 8GB or Triple Channel 6GB?

Hey guys, so I'm working on a new build and have searched around but cannot find any answer to my question. This is the build Im working with for reference:

PSU
Case
Graphics Card
Motherboard
CPU

Then I'm wondering what RAM sticks to go for: the Dual Channel 8GB or the Triple Channel 6GB. They are both the same price ($170) and have the same clock speed (1333MHz), but I don't know what to get. All my friends are saying go for the triple channel, and this would make it a lot easier to max out the RAM on my system by buying the same set later, but I could also get 8GB for the same price as 6GB. Can you even run dual channel RAM in triple channel designed mobo's?

Thanks for any help in advance guys
Old October 19, 2010, 07:01 AM

My System Specs

You can run dual channel ram in an X58 system. There is a very very small performance difference between the two. I would still likely go for the triple channel set, but it really depends on what you are using the computer for. Can you really use all 8GB?
Old October 19, 2010, 07:03 AM
Rookie

Its mainly going to be a gaming rig, but I will be doing some video processing on it. I don't think I will use all 8GB, though, but it is nice to have. My laptop currently has 6GB and I max that out sometimes (not very often though) Im starting to sway to the triple channel stuff
Old October 19, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Much bigger difference between pagefile and dual-channel than there is between dual and triple channel. If you can actually break 6GB in your computing activities, I'd look fairly hard at 8GB. Or if budget allows, get 6GB, and throw 6 more in down the road and never worry again.

Although I might note that I can't see the price parity you speak of in those two links. And hopefully you're checking retailers other than just TD - it's a little uncommon for them to have the best prices.
Old October 19, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I thought I read a post where a guy had 4 DIMMs installed, yet the system still ran in triple channel?

EDIT: here

Corsair Dominator GT 1866 C9
Old October 20, 2010, 08:54 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
I thought I read a post where a guy had 4 DIMMs installed, yet the system still ran in triple channel?

EDIT: here

Corsair Dominator GT 1866 C9
He is looking @ a 2 x 4GB however. So it would still be dual channel.
Old November 25, 2010, 02:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've been looking into 2 dual channel kits for my i7 and all the mobo manuals I've looked at show 4 dimms work in triple channel + an addition stick ( a1, a2, b1, c1 )