Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2007, 08:18 AM
Rookie

Exclamation Corsair memory: Buyer Beware!

is it just the type of memory i bought, or are all Corsair memory packaging shockingly lacking in any security at all?

have a look at these pics of my Corsair Dominator PC8500 memory packaging:

unbelievable! there is absolutely NO SECURITY. the package can be opened and closed with impunity. the package contents are not protected at all.

for high-end expensive memory, this is ridiculous and unacceptable. i was shocked to see this. and of course, when scrutinizing the memory modules i found fingerprints on one of them. but i was too eager to build my system to delay it by RMA-ing it back to ncix (and so far as i can tell they are working as advertised -- although i did notice in the bios, the natural 'auto' timings were 5-5-5-18, and not the advertised 5-5-5-15... so i set it to 'manual' and forced it to 15).

anyhow, i just wanted to post this to vent and warn people about this.

as i said, for high-end, expensive, and knowing how sensitive and easily corruptable/damageable memory modules are, the packaging is utterly negligent and unacceptable. what on earth is Corsair thinking??? would it have impacted their pockets that much to have implemented tamper-proof sealed packaging???

ugh. and nevermind the fact that today, there are more and more knockoffs abound. technology is widespread and available to the point that it's getting harder and harder to tell real from fake, because, hold on to your seats, the same manufacturing machinery/equipment (same factories in some cases) are used to make the cheaper and inferior knockoffs!! yes, China is the culprit. and sorry for getting started on this, but suffice it to say that they do not observe any patent/infringement laws as they know they cannot easily be held accountable.

anyhow, Corsair's packaging fails big time, and just a heads up to all who are thinking of buying them. good memory, but buy from a reputable place with a favourable return/exchange policy.

my 2 cents for the day, lol (had meant to post this much earlier but building my system, oc-ing it, and stablizing it, and gaming afterwards sort of got in the way, my apologies :) )

btw, it's snowing like crazy and blizzarding outside!!!!! yeah!!!! this is how Christmas should be!!! :D

cheers!
-v (prays that snowblower will start)
Sapphire HD3870 x 2 CF @ 860/1126
WD 160GB Raptor x 2 (Raid 0)
Silverstone ST85F 850W PSU
LG GSA-H62L DVD Writer
CoolerMaster Stacker 832
APC 1500VA Smart-UPS
Windows XP Pro
Cooling: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme / Scythe SFF21F / 5 x Antec TriCool 120mm / stock cooling for 3870 cards / Home Depot cable ties
3DMark05 score: 24432
3DMark06 score: 19517
2hr OCCT max temp: 60C
Old December 16, 2007, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm my Muskin and OCZ packaging is the same, perfectly normal IMO and definitely not a valid reason to stop buying Corsair .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 16, 2007, 09:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

The same for Buffalo Technologies, and Crucial ...

Old December 16, 2007, 09:41 AM
Allstar

I think all ram companies have gone towards those types of packages to minimize shipping costs. I know for a fact that Crucial sells their higher quality ram in small cardboard boxes though.
Old December 16, 2007, 09:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I much prefer this type of packaging to the typical sealed blister packs we see so much of nowadays. Security isn't that much of a concern AFAIC, and packages like these have the benefit of being re-usable for either future sales or transport (like I just went through with my super-talent) while blister packs are rendered useless once opened.

As far as the -18 vice -15 auto settings go.... most higher binned memory has the spd set to looser timings than they're rated for.This allows for maximum compatability on auto settings.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old December 16, 2007, 11:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The Balistix RAM I bought has the same kind of clam shell packaging but it has a wrap around sticker that prevents someone from opening it without that being obvious.

I was in a computer store a while ago and the clerks were specifically looking for RAM in packaging that could be opened because they had a guy in the store who had a very old computer and did not know if the RAM would be compatible. So they said buy this and try it; if it does not work bring it back and no harm done. I appreciate that they were trying to help the guy but...
Old December 16, 2007, 12:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
The Balistix RAM I bought has the same kind of clam shell packaging but it has a wrap around sticker that prevents someone from opening it without that being obvious.

I was in a computer store a while ago and the clerks were specifically looking for RAM in packaging that could be opened because they had a guy in the store who had a very old computer and did not know if the RAM would be compatible. So they said buy this and try it; if it does not work bring it back and no harm done. I appreciate that they were trying to help the guy but...

yes, i have seen this too. and this is what all computer shops do, instead of the hassle of returning it to the manufacturer... they just keep swapping with their current inventory... this is the easiest solution for the store and the customer... but then the next new customer ends up paying for swapped memory... and may not even discover the flaws that prompted the original exchange... it's not right

fair is fair, and i think everyone should get NEW memory if they pay for NEW memory... if not, then the memory should be sold explicitly as USED memory at a discount

it's surprising to me that many other memory makers also have security-less packaging... i had no idea this is a standard practice... definitely not a best practice for sure... it's just too easy to abuse... to me it's like putting candy in front of a child and hope the child doesn't take it

-v
Sapphire HD3870 x 2 CF @ 860/1126
WD 160GB Raptor x 2 (Raid 0)
Silverstone ST85F 850W PSU
LG GSA-H62L DVD Writer
CoolerMaster Stacker 832
APC 1500VA Smart-UPS
Windows XP Pro
Cooling: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme / Scythe SFF21F / 5 x Antec TriCool 120mm / stock cooling for 3870 cards / Home Depot cable ties
3DMark05 score: 24432
3DMark06 score: 19517
2hr OCCT max temp: 60C
Old December 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
MVP
F@H

whne the corsair ram i purchased from my local store was found to be tampered with i returned... when I got a hassle i phoned corsair and made a complaint, about the place, I also complained about the packaging.

The store in question, phoned and where whining about my complaint against.. to date the ram is now behind closed glass.. and with security tape on the edges...

here is what else you can do, post this here at there official forums

The Corsair Support Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Old December 16, 2007, 05:33 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
The same for Buffalo Technologies, and Crucial ...
And Mushkin too..
Old December 16, 2007, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just want to know why you wasted all that money on Corsair Dominator ram when there is some much better stuff out for 1/10 the price.