Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing I can think of is a strange issue with a combination of "single sided" and "dual sided" memory which is making that crucial stick read as a 512 MB.
DDR SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - search for the term

Maybe that crucial is a different flavour of dual / single sided and your motherboard's BIOS doesn't know what's going on?

Also, that X850 might be eating up to 256 MB of system memory due to the "Hypermemory" feature that was popular during that time.

Good luck ;)
Old July 16, 2010, 08:33 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
The only thing I can think of is a strange issue with a combination of "single sided" and "dual sided" memory which is making that crucial stick read as a 512 MB.
DDR SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - search for the term

Maybe that crucial is a different flavour of dual / single sided and your motherboard's BIOS doesn't know what's going on?

Also, that X850 might be eating up to 256 MB of system memory due to the "Hypermemory" feature that was popular during that time.

Good luck ;)
forgot to mention that the sticks i install is all double sided aka dual sided.

new info:
now i just found out new info that might lead to light. i dig up my very very old sticks paired 2x 256mb...... i tried combining it with my paired adata 2x 1gb...... boot up and says total 2.5gig!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is correct read!

now what does this mean? does this mean my machine is more compatible installing only pairs????? but why when i go to crucial and kingston site and it says i can install without pair is fine?

and the paired 256mb i jus dug up is single sided.... i combine with dual sided paired adata and it reads correct so single sided mix with dual sided is ok for this system.

so is the problem is it can only installed in pairs?

note:
paired plus another paired = reads accurate
paired plus non-paired = read sloppy
dug up old paired 256mb is single sided
Old July 16, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

May not be in specks but pairs work better on old 775 boards.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
May not be in specks but pairs work better on old 775 boards.
how do i know if i got 775 board? where to look?
Old July 17, 2010, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohee View Post
forgot to mention that the sticks i install is all double sided aka dual sided.

new info:
now i just found out new info that might lead to light. i dig up my very very old sticks paired 2x 256mb...... i tried combining it with my paired adata 2x 1gb...... boot up and says total 2.5gig!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is correct read!

now what does this mean? does this mean my machine is more compatible installing only pairs????? but why when i go to crucial and kingston site and it says i can install without pair is fine?

and the paired 256mb i jus dug up is single sided.... i combine with dual sided paired adata and it reads correct so single sided mix with dual sided is ok for this system.

so is the problem is it can only installed in pairs?

note:
paired plus another paired = reads accurate
paired plus non-paired = read sloppy
dug up old paired 256mb is single sided
there is more to memory than just a few sticks.

single sided, double sided, voltage requirements, timings, density etc.

all of these things have to be compatible with your board otherwise they won't work
Old July 17, 2010, 09:58 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
there is more to memory than just a few sticks.

single sided, double sided, voltage requirements, timings, density etc.

all of these things have to be compatible with your board otherwise they won't work
how do i know if a stick is high density or low density?
Old July 17, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohee View Post
how do i know if a stick is high density or low density?
Info: What is the Difference Between Low Density and High Density RAM? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old July 17, 2010, 10:43 AM
MVP

cool info link. so its 64m vs 128m. where does it tell either if its a 64m or 128m in the physical stick? on this stick im looking at it, it doesnt say anything about 64m or 128m. but the other sticks in my inventory do.