Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Is it Aero that adds the extra resources that may be the reason, Windows 7 is perceived to require more RAM? If you disable it, then maybe it's more on par with XP or even makes better use of RAM?
Old July 6, 2010, 01:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Is it Aero that adds the extra resources that may be the reason, Windows 7 is perceived to require more RAM? If you disable it, then maybe it's more on par with XP or even makes better use of RAM?
From my understanding, Windows Vista and 7 both allocate large amounts of RAM namely for cache purposes. It'll give this up should a demanding app require it.

Yes it appears more RAM is used, and likely is, but it's not as huge as a difference as some make it to be IMO. Better if your RAM is being used than sitting empty as well. Means things and load faster.
Old July 6, 2010, 03:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Windows 7 does use more RAM than XP, but 2GB is still plenty. I have 2GB in my laptop and it runs perfectly fine.
Old July 6, 2010, 10:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

windows 7 uses all your ram but that only makes it faster(google). it also looks better and is more responive. But i would get a 4670 or something before spending your money on an os.
Old July 7, 2010, 06:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip10793 View Post
windows 7 uses all your ram but that only makes it faster(google). it also looks better and is more responive. But i would get a 4670 or something before spending your money on an os.
If you really believe that superfetch makes things faster.. you are suckered into all the propaganda.
Old July 7, 2010, 09:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Still going enaberif?

I personally find Windows 7 stays running better than XP did. XP always seems to end up getting pretty sluggish, unless you do some heavy tweaking. Whether or not it's SuperFetch related, I don't know.

Granted after doing a clean Win7 install, it still feels way faster than the "old" Win7 install, but the difference doesn't seem as huge as it was with XP.
Old July 7, 2010, 09:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
If you really believe that superfetch makes things faster.. you are suckered into all the propaganda.
It does make things faster. If you believe otherwise then it's just because you haven't used Vista and/or Windows 7 enough to see it.
Old July 7, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It does make things faster. If you believe otherwise then it's just because you haven't used Vista and/or Windows 7 enough to see it.
I've used both Vista and Windows 7 and don't find it ANY faster than Windows XP with the same hardware and ram.
Old July 7, 2010, 10:33 PM
Banned
F@H

some things have improved liek searching and stuff..but the zippiness of the system..at least with low size ram like the afformentioned 2 gigers, cant beat xp.
Old July 8, 2010, 03:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I've used both Vista and Windows 7 and don't find it ANY faster than Windows XP with the same hardware and ram.
Superfetch doesn't make Windows 7 or Vista faster than XP. It makes them faster than they would be without Superfetch.