Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2010, 07:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No offense, but judging by how poor a video card you have, I doubt gaming would be noticeably worse under Windows 7. Personally I'm not even sure how you can stand playing games on a 8400GS.

I'd suggest buying a console at this point to game on. It'll look and play way better, while costing less than PC gaming.

And I'd say go for Windows 7. You can always go back to XP if your games really play that much slower. Windows 7, IMO, runs faster and smoother than a typical XP install (I'm not taking into account those who cut XP down to the bones and run no background apps).
Old July 5, 2010, 01:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My brother runs 7 on 1.5GB of ram no problem and he plays WoW..

2GB would run great. If you don't like XP then give 7 a shot, I'm sure you'll like it.
Old July 5, 2010, 10:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say spend the money on even say a GT240 VS more RAM for your system. Better upgrade 100% that route. And Win 7 Is very nice, I'm getting more and more comfortable with it everyday. I do love XP, but W7 really was done well for a change.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 5, 2010, 06:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I do love XP, but W7 really was done well for a change.
For a change? Windows has been getting better with every release. The problem is that the XP launch was so long ago that most people don't remember what a trainwreck it was, even compared to Vista.
Old July 5, 2010, 07:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
For a change? Windows has been getting better with every release. The problem is that the XP launch was so long ago that most people don't remember what a trainwreck it was, even compared to Vista.
i don't remember XP being a train wreck.. i love XP but windows 7 ultimate full is beast... comes with everything under the sun... i would switch to it... it uses less mem than XP.... and im not counting the people who cut back xp either.. that doesn't count.. lol
Old July 5, 2010, 07:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
A change from Vista is what I ment. Some people love it, some people hate it and I was always in the latter.

Yes XP was a Train wreck, I remember well.
I go back a long way in Software memory, up to the point where I was writing in Fourth.

Windows and Microsoft have really done a 360 and earned my coin again.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 5, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

XP was only a trainwreck till the first service pack then it was fine.

Windows 7 reminds me far to much of Windows Vista and there is no way of making Vista/Win7 feel less "cute" unless you run it in Classic mode of which the start menu and such is STILL not.

But lets not turn this thread into a XP vs Vista vs Win7 debate.

You either like one or the other.
Old July 5, 2010, 08:27 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
i don't remember XP being a train wreck.. i love XP but windows 7 ultimate full is beast... comes with everything under the sun... i would switch to it... it uses less mem than XP.... and im not counting the people who cut back xp either.. that doesn't count.. lol
in the beginning you would have to pay me to use it lol. even then id have my doubts about the whole quest..thing..
Old July 5, 2010, 09:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
the XP launch was so long ago that most people don't remember what a trainwreck it was
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
i don't remember XP being a train wreck..
Case in point.
Old July 6, 2010, 05:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Buying XP now would be silly to say the least. To use a copy you already have is fine. If you need to buy a new OS then the only choice is Windows 7. The Premium version is great. I have it on my laptop and it is awesome. Considering I get 10+ hours battery life it shows just how hard MS worked to fix Vista since 7 is Vista SP3 if you ask me.

Anyhow, XP is dying, EOL and just plain old. To me, the only choice is 7. My kids have a S775 P4 machine with 1GB of ram and it runs very very well with 7 64-bit Ultimate. There is no configuration in my mind made in the last 2 years that will not benefit from 7.