Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Ram Heat spreaders separating from chips (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/33883-ram-heat-spreaders-separating-chips.html)

tragd July 3, 2010 06:21 PM

Ram Heat spreaders separating from chips

So, on my sticks of Ripjaws, the heatspreaders seems to lose its "stick" to the chips. It's not too bad, but there definitely is not much contact: |\ <- somewhat like that

I can push them together and they would stick for a bit but after a while they do come off again.

What is my best option in making them stick again? Granted they probably don't do much anyway, but I would still prefer to have them stuck on.

Aftermarket heatspreaders worth it? Should I just buy some thermal tape? Which ones/where?

Thanks!

edit: so i used u-clips for a while and now they seem to be stuck on pretty well.

_dangtx_ July 3, 2010 06:33 PM

ive seen someone rma his kit for that, worth it? if you push some juice thru them, yes.

fishingfanatic July 3, 2010 11:25 PM

Ram

No harm in calling the OEM. If I'm not mistaken those are lifetime warranty, shouldn't be a problem.
:biggrin:

tragd July 4, 2010 09:24 AM

shipping it back would probably cost more than buying $10 3rd party heat spreaders though i think :(

ForTheGG July 4, 2010 09:51 AM

You could use metallic U clips to squish them together if you can find some.

tragd July 4, 2010 12:50 PM

where would i buy these u clips that would fit ram?
speaking of clips, maybe i will just get some tape and tape one side to the other along the edge. don't know if they would hold though..

sswilson July 4, 2010 01:48 PM

If you're going to use tape, might as well go all out and grab the proper double sided thermal tape.....

This is the stuff you want if you can find it..... Sekisui Thermal Tape Sekisui Product Code 5760 25MM: SEKISUI-5760 at BEST PRICE

If you ask nicely enough, there might be somebody in your area who already picked up a roll and would be willing to part with a foot or so for under $5...... ;)

I've got a roll myself, but it'd cost money to ship it.... best if you can find somebody local. (Besides which my son used half of my roll to "seal" his air conditioner when he installed it this year.......... ).

edit: I've also seen it at Princess auto for a really good price, but that's hit and miss for availability.

tragd July 4, 2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 399610)
If you're going to use tape, might as well go all out and grab the proper double sided thermal tape.....

This is the stuff you want if you can find it..... Sekisui Thermal Tape Sekisui Product Code 5760 25MM: SEKISUI-5760 at BEST PRICE

If you ask nicely enough, there might be somebody in your area who already picked up a roll and would be willing to part with a foot or so for under $5...... ;)

I've got a roll myself, but it'd cost money to ship it.... best if you can find somebody local. (Besides which my son used half of my roll to "seal" his air conditioner when he installed it this year.......... ).

edit: I've also seen it at Princess auto for a really good price, but that's hit and miss for availability.

Thanks for the info! I will try the BST :) Otherwise I might look for U Clips, didn't know they were just binder clips haha. Now I have to find some that are long enough to go over the little bumps on the heatsink.