Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2010, 06:40 AM
Banned

Default DDR2 options?

I'm still building a budget system and it seems, it's going to be a P45 system with DDR2 memory. I'll keep my current Q6600 cpu for it and use a E3300 (?) for the current P35 board.

There's Mushkin DDR2 RAM (I think it's the HP series - 6400) in there now.

I'm looking for ideas/options for getting RAM for one of these boards. Leave the Mushkin in the old one or move it to the new board? I was thinking of doing that but I need RAM for the other board.

Confused yet? :)

The sysetm in my .sig will become the 'budget' machine and this new one, w/ P45 mobo will be my new computer. I know it's not much but I haven't invested much in it yet (just traded a Socket 939 cpu for it) so it's a good deal.

The other options I have to decide on:
* 2GB or 4GB
* timings - CL4 or CL5
* brand (I guess I'm leaning towards Kingston Hyper-X as my first choice unless there's a good reason to consider a different one)

Prices seem to be $45 for 2GB of DDR2 PC-6400 or $92 for 4GB (of same)

There only seems to be a slight price difference when going to a different timing (CL4 v.s. CL5)

I don't know if I should invest in 4GB of DDR2 RAM, though? I wouldn't mind having more for *my* system, though. Kingston seems to be the brand that has more to choose from so easier to add RAM if you go with Kingston? OCZ and Corsair seems to be widely available, too, though.

Any recommendations?

I would have liked to go to a new architecture but I don't have the dough for that right now. I still want to get a SSD and another HDD at some point!

Please recommend?!?

I'd go for used RAM but there's not too many people selling right now and I don't think their prices are that competitive to new. However, the damn HST is a real PITA right now so that's not helping... I should have already decided on the memory before July 1/HST day!!!! ARGH!
Old July 2, 2010, 06:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if its DDR2 there is no reason not to choose Kingston if you can find it at a half decent price. I don't think its cost is going down anytime soon as its EOL.

Your best bet is to not invest too heavily in something thats at its lifes end, so get the RAM that will meet your budget constraints, and satisify what you want to do with the system and then save up for the eventual push into a new system in the future.

All being said and done, both Kingston and Mushkin sticks are good and using either would net you the same performance.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 2, 2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Well if its DDR2 there is no reason not to choose Kingston if you can find it at a half decent price. I don't think its cost is going down anytime soon as its EOL.

Your best bet is to not invest too heavily in something thats at its lifes end, so get the RAM that will meet your budget constraints, and satisify what you want to do with the system and then save up for the eventual push into a new system in the future.

All being said and done, both Kingston and Mushkin sticks are good and using either would net you the same performance.

ST
I agree. But, does it matter which timings? There's either CL5 or CL4. I thought if I add RAM later *(say, I get 2GB), whether CL4 or CL5 would be more available. Since it's EOL, maybe only one will be available? I know you can adjust the timings but certain sticks will run at one better than the other setting?
Old July 2, 2010, 07:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you split ram between boards to save money? 2GB of ram is probably good enough for most systems.
Old July 2, 2010, 07:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I agree. But, does it matter which timings? There's either CL5 or CL4. I thought if I add RAM later *(say, I get 2GB), whether CL4 or CL5 would be more available. Since it's EOL, maybe only one will be available? I know you can adjust the timings but certain sticks will run at one better than the other setting?
There is no way to know which one will be more available should you want to get it in the future. Usually the more expensive Ram Types (Hyper X for example) will operate at different timings because the chips are better binned. That being said I've seen my own Crucial Value RAM run at some unbelieveable settings so its really a crap shoot.

Realistically CL4 and CL5 should not effect your overall system performance to any signifigant level that you need to concern yourself with which one to get.

Go with what fits your budget the best in this case.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 2, 2010, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Can you split ram between boards to save money? 2GB of ram is probably good enough for most systems.
I could. The older system will be used by a relative who only needs 2GB. XP will probably still be used so 2GB is enough in theory.

However, I want to maximize my RAM for my build so as much as I can afford or whatever I'm willing (and able) to invest in. I am going to use Virtualbox and extra RAM helps.

Quote:
Realistically CL4 and CL5 should not effect your overall system performance to any signifigant level that you need to concern yourself with which one to get.

Go with what fits your budget the best in this case.
Okay, I figured that. Thanks.
Old July 16, 2010, 10:09 PM
Banned

Hey, I'm looking at getting RAM again.

I can get 2GB for the 'budget' system I'm building. I am probably going to get the E3300 cpu to go with the P35 mobo (I'm going to use a P45 mobo for mine). I can leave the 4GB of the Mushkin in the P35 mobo but it is probably overkill for what the computer will be used for.

Therefore, I could buy 2GB but it seems to be at least $50.

Or I could buy the latest update to the Mushkin RAM, 4GB Blackline:

Canada Computers - Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz CL5 DIMM (996587B)

I could then put one of those in my computer and then I'd have 6GB. :) I'd like extra memory for when I use Virtualization (in my case, VirtualBox).

My current Mushkin 4GB is blue but it has a similar model # being HP2-6400 and 996587.

Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996587

The P35 system will probably stay with XP Pro. I may install Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on the new build (w/ Asus P45 mobo). It'll still have the Q6600 cpu, same PSU (Corsair HX520).... not sure what video card it'll have! I'm leaving the 7950GT in the P35 computer.

So, what should I do with the RAM???? I'm undecided! The reason I considered the Kingstons is it's probably easier to add the HyperX RAM to whichever computer has it.

Although, like previously mentioned, not much of an argument to continue investing in DDR2 RAM! :)

I hope to solve the RAM dilemma soon, though... at least, decide on which route to take!
Old July 17, 2010, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Ram

If you're going 64 bit, I found 8gbs so much faster than even 6. Go Mushkin. Great for overclocking, durable, great rep. and lifetime warranty. Get a 2 gb kit for the old system and when you can, bump up the Mushkins you have to 8gbs, and stick with the same speed /make though I've mixed manufacturers before wit hthe same timings. I couldn't believe how much faster the last stick made my system. Enjoy!
Old July 17, 2010, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
If you're going 64 bit, I found 8gbs so much faster than even 6. Go Mushkin. Great for overclocking, durable, great rep. and lifetime warranty. Get a 2 gb kit for the old system and when you can, bump up the Mushkins you have to 8gbs, and stick with the same speed /make though I've mixed manufacturers before wit hthe same timings. I couldn't believe how much faster the last stick made my system. Enjoy!
Yeah? Hmmmm... One computer (mine) would be the 64-bit system (if I get Windows 7, it will be 64-bit for sure. I'd dual boot Linux but that OS will be 64-bit, too). The other budget build will stick with XP Pro 32-bit. So, yes, 2GB of DDR2 RAM will probably be sufficient. It will be extra money to do this so I was just wondering if it's worth it. I'm sure the memory would be put to good use if I do a lot with the virtualization software. Even though, if it's true you see a difference (system is faster)...

I have read (here) that you can mix different RAM manufacturers and you should have the same timings... and if they're the same, more likely to work better (less issues?)... but, if I get the Blackline Mushkins, I think they're closer to what I already have (same model name/number almost) so the timings are probably the same. An easier addition?