Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Gaming Ram?

I would like to know if more ram is better than faster ram for gaming.I have 6 gigs @1333 and I wonder if 12 gigs at the same speed would give overall better performance? Even with the system I have,there are still slowdowns and stuttering in some games.All advice appreciated. Thanks.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 1, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well I think that 6gb ram is more then enough for gaming but I think it has allot to do with what you have running in the back ground, it is more likely that the game stuttering is coming from a buggy game then not enough ram. the games now days are not made that well they seem to just slap them together ( IMO). of course this depends on a few things like if you are playing the game on line and also the rest of your hard ware like video card processor, but I so believe that 6gb ram is more then enough.
ok I just looked at your signature and if that is the system you are talking about then you are fine.
Old July 1, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
well I think that 6gb ram is more then enough for gaming but I think it has allot to do with what you have running in the back ground, it is more likely that the game stuttering is coming from a buggy game then not enough ram. the games now days are not made that well they seem to just slap them together ( IMO). of course this depends on a few things like if you are playing the game on line and also the rest of your hard ware like video card processor, but I so believe that 6gb ram is more then enough.
ok I just looked at your signature and if that is the system you are talking about then you are fine.
Thanks for your response. What would be the best way to go overall. Even tho I am good for now,which would be the better way to upgrade? More or faster? Or,for that matter,does it make a difference?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 1, 2010, 11:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Thanks for your response. What would be the best way to go overall. Even tho I am good for now,which would be the better way to upgrade? More or faster? Or,for that matter,does it make a difference?
If you want, you could get 12GB of ram and make a RAMDisk to store your favorite game on. The benefit is that the game loads almost instantaneously, due to your RAM being much faster than a traditional HDD. The downside is you lose that RAM for use as running it in your system, but with 12GB it shouldn't matter.
-Corsair H-50 + 2x Cooler Master R4
-Asus RoG Rampage III Extreme
-6GB OCZ Platinum Triple Channel DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
-2x EVGA GTX 295+ Quad SLI
-Corsair HX-1000
-WD 160GB Raptor 10000RPM
-WD 1000GB Black 7200RPM

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1249140.png
Old July 1, 2010, 12:16 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

RAM speed has nearly zero effect on real-world gaming performance. It's not something you need to worry about. As long as you have enough of it (6GB is plenty for now), just leave things as-is. If you really need more performance, there are much better ways to get it (overclocking for example).
Old July 1, 2010, 12:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you want to see more performance, be it decreased load times you need to replace your standard hard drive with an ssd. You will not see noticeable differences with ram speeds if it is not your bottleneck, and even if it is, it'll be very hard to noticeable the difference (we're talking milliseconds)
Old July 1, 2010, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IMO, if games are stuttering on your rig then something must be wrong with the games themselves or possibly driver issues. Your rig should be able to play any game out there on max settings without issue.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 1, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

with the 980x you need better ram 1333 speeds its like having ddr2 but in tripple channel
read write is alot lower than with a 920
to me the difference was huge so i sold my 980x
i still got great ram lol can do 1700mhz cas6 or 2185mhz cas8 1.67v

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old July 2, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks all. I think that I will try 6gigs of faster ram.I know I should have no problems with the rig I have,but I'm having issues none the less.
Old July 2, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sorry, but if any game chops with your system, another 6 Gigs of RAM isn't going to make a lick of difference. But if you have the money to throw away (which it seems you do since everyone's advised against it and you're doing it anyway) then go for it. At the end of the day though, most games have a RAM access limit, and for the majority it's actually only 2GB I believe. That's why 4GB of RAM is plenty for most people.

Im curious to know what game you're running that your machine is having issues with? I see you run a Dell Ultrasharp 3008 WFP 30" monitor. It runs in a native 25x16, which you should not have an issue with. Something to note though; make sure you're not mistaking 'screen tearing' as 'chopiness'. That monitor has an 8ms response time, which is pretty crap for gaming.

*EDIT* Alienware might be part of your issue as well. On top of being way overpriced, they don't use the best quality parts. And if you're sitting on a 'factory' install, you're probably WAY behind the curve on your driver updates.