Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Sorry, but if any game chops with your system, another 6 Gigs of RAM isn't going to make a lick of difference. But if you have the money to throw away (which it seems you do since everyone's advised against it and you're doing it anyway) then go for it. At the end of the day though, most games have a RAM access limit, and for the majority it's actually only 2GB I believe. That's why 4GB of RAM is plenty for most people.

Im curious to know what game you're running that your machine is having issues with? I see you run a Dell Ultrasharp 3008 WFP 30" monitor. It runs in a native 25x16, which you should not have an issue with. Something to note though; make sure you're not mistaking 'screen tearing' as 'chopiness'. That monitor has an 8ms response time, which is pretty crap for gaming.

*EDIT* Alienware might be part of your issue as well. On top of being way overpriced, they don't use the best quality parts. And if you're sitting on a 'factory' install, you're probably WAY behind the curve on your driver updates.
Thank you, One of the first things I did was make sure all drivers were updated from the Hardware Manufacturers sites. I never use Dell drivers as they are always out dated. The game I have most problems with,is IL2 1946.When flying over large cities or rough ocean,I get a huge amount of stuttering and pauses etc. There has been no tearing,just hiccup stuttering. It seems that the higher I set Anti Aliasing the worse it gets. 4x is the highest AA setting I can use. Anything higher and it's like a slide show. Thanks again.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 2, 2010, 12:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried disabling Crossfire for that game?
Old July 2, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
My thoughts exactly, since I know people that run that game in similar res with mid-low end machines and they don't have much issue. And a single 4870 should be plenty to run it maxed out.

*Edit* Check out FPS charts here to see what systems much lower than yours are getting on it. Something else is going on in your system, because it sure isn't your specs giving you trouble.
Old July 2, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I just tried it and while the game did not run any better,it for sure ran no worse. For that matter,I would say it was exactly the same.Maybe this is a video driver issue? Maybe older drivers would work better? I know I can download and keep trying but maybe it's some other glitch. Frustrating as hell.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 2, 2010, 11:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

When the game is running, try Alt-tabbing out, go into Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, find the process for the game, right-click, pick Set Affinity, and uncheck all but one core. See if that helps.
Old July 3, 2010, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
When the game is running, try Alt-tabbing out, go into Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, find the process for the game, right-click, pick Set Affinity, and uncheck all but one core. See if that helps.
The game directory allows you to change the Proc. Affinity which I have tried with no change. I will say this however,I had a Dell XPS 730x with the i7 965 extreme and two Nvidia GTX 280s in it and had no issues at all.I gave that one to my wife as she too is a gamer and because the XPS is no longer available,I went with Alienware.This is an excellent gaming rig except for those issues I have talked about.Maybe Alienware needs a new BIOS update? Oh well,I'm sure that with the help of my fellow forum members and fellow Alienware owners,all these issues will be identified and corrected. The last thing I want to do is spend hours talking to a Dell support tech and end up non the wiser. Thank you all. I really appreciate the support from this forum and its members.