Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Which RAM should I get? OCZ ReaperX or Mushkin XP2

I am waiting on RAM which is the last component I need for my build.

The Mushkin is backordered and no one can give me an ETA
XP2-6400

996580 (2x2GB)

Frequency: 800MHz Latency: 4-4-4-12 Parity: Unbuffered

Voltage: 2.0-2.1V Pins: 240 Density > > > Module: 256Mx64 Chip: 128x8

Then I was looking around a bit and found this stuff, which seems to be getting good reviews:

OCZ PC2-8000 ReaperX HPC 4GB Dual Channel

1000MHz DDR2 5-5-5-18 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) Available in 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel Kits Unbuffered OCZ Lifetime Warranty 2.1 Volts 240 Pin DIMM

Infonec has the OCZ at $219 and NCIX has the Mushkin at $219, so it's the same thing (except for the damn PST in Ontario if I go with Infonec)

I plan to get into overclocking and have been reading like mad about it, so I think I have a good idea how to play with RAM o/c

Here's the system:
Quote:
Case - Antec 900
Mobo - Asus Maximus Formula
GPU - EVGA 8800 GTX
CPU - Q6600
PSU - Coolermaster Exteme Power 650W
HD1 - Western Digital Raptor 150GB
HD2 - Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM
Sound - Creative Labs Sound Blaster XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
Heatsink - Thermalright Ultra120
Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 245B 24IN Widescreen 1920x1200
OS - Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Last edited by zlojack; November 24, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old November 23, 2007, 06:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well, I haven't really heard much about the Reaper, other then the fact it was "inspired by Crysis", though the heatsink does look interesting. As for the XP2-6400, I've only been hearing good things about it, and if I remember right, has quite a bit potential for overclocking. But like I said, I haven't seen much about the Reaper, so I can only comment on what I know.
Old November 23, 2007, 07:29 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The XP2 are oc'ing monsters. I own a set of them. I would wait and buy those, instead of the Reapers.
Old November 23, 2007, 10:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
The XP2 are oc'ing monsters. I own a set of them. I would wait and buy those, instead of the Reapers.
Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah, but those heatsinks sure do look interesting... anyway, I can always use the RAM in my current system to start my build then install the XP2 later. I've also heard great things about the XP2, but that ReaperX stuff just looks interesting and the heatsinks make sense.

Anyway, I have until Sunday to decide since the orders go through on "business days", so I'll wait and see if there are more comments until then.
Old November 24, 2007, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Apperently, those heatsinks don't really do much...unless you have a fan running straight over them...you're talking about thwo different things here though...PC2-6400 and PC2-8000...for the same price? I would go for the Reaper! They are faster right off the bat and look way cooler!

Ps. That is a wicked system....make sure you post pics and benchies!
Old November 24, 2007, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
Apperently, those heatsinks don't really do much...unless you have a fan running straight over them...you're talking about thwo different things here though...PC2-6400 and PC2-8000...for the same price? I would go for the Reaper! They are faster right off the bat and look way cooler!

Ps. That is a wicked system....make sure you post pics and benchies!
Yeah, I think that's probably the best plan... the PC2-8000 factor makes a difference.

Anyway, you convinced me, I've placed the order for the OCZ.

And I plan on posting pics of my build and benchies once it's up and running...my first ever build so it should be interesting! I hope I don't break anything!
Old November 24, 2007, 02:34 PM
Allstar

Well, I believe the Mushkins use Micron chips, because they overclock pretty well. The Reapers might use Micron, because their stock speed is set over PC2-7200. (IIRC correctly, Tony on XS said this was true with OCZ ram, but I'm not entirely sure, because it's a 2X2GB kit).

I'm kind of leaning towards the Reapers on this one, because of their monstrous stock speed and low voltage level.
Old December 5, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Finally got the RAM in today, and I am impressed!

It was a bit of a tight fit to get all 4 modules in, as the heatsinks and the retainers seemed to want to fight with each other, but I managed to get it done....

Now to begin with some oc fun!
Old December 6, 2007, 06:39 AM
Rookie

I'm contemplating the exact same two choices.

The FrostByte heatsink design on Mushkin RAM does work very very well. I tried it myslelf not long ago. If you touch the base of the heatsink where it meats the board and its just warm or even cool ..yet the top of the heatsink is Hot - it's working nicely.

It's my opinion the OCZ Reaper heatsink "should" work better but I haven't seen any reviews stating it's so. As far as OCing and the rated speeds ..well unless I'm wrong that 8000 is just a guarentee it will run at that speed with the stated voltage and timings. 1000 isn't going to be difficult for the Mushkin XP2-6400 at all at 5-5-5-12 timings and at that same voltage ...it will in fact go further than 1000Mhz at 2.1. There's some reviews out there stating that, I believe them.

So what I'm saying is that shouldn't have anything to do with this purchase. Actual benchmark comparisons would be NICE. I can't find any on this OCZ Reaper. What is the latency at the default timings for that OCZ? Please do tell...

These seem to be two kits that some site should pick for a head to head. I bet they're very similar. A good price point and value for either though.
Old December 6, 2007, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The stock timings are 5-5-5-18.

I haven't really messed around with them too much yet, especially since I'm pretty green when it comes to overclocking. I'm still learning (every day something new!)

Yesterday I had them at over 1000, but I can't remember exactly where... I'll have to do some proper testing when I have some time to sit down and actually record what's happening...

I will say this, putting 4 of them on the Maximus Formula at the same time was definitely a challenge. The retainers for the heat sink pipes are fairly wide, and the fins sort of run into each other, so it took a bit of playing around to get them to settle in exactly right, also a fair bit more force than I would have liked, but they're in and working great now...

I'll post some pics tonight or over the weekend of what they look like installed...

Last edited by zlojack; December 6, 2007 at 07:01 AM.