Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2010, 11:23 AM
Banned

Default Value of used DDR2 RAM???

I am building a budget computer for a relative. I have everything but the mobo and maybe RAM.

I thought I had 2GB but I think another relative is using it. It was Crucial Ballistix 1085 (PC-2).... etc.

Anyway, I thought maybe I should get 4GB of cheap DDR2 RAM. I could also build an AM3 mobo and DDR3 RAM but then I probably have to pay full price for the newer RAM???

Can someone suggest a route to take? I don't need a powerful build but there's been a few problems with an old Pentium 3 machine (I have two SFF deskpros) that has overheated. The fan is not keeping it cool enough and there's a lot of noise. I have cleaned it out twice and it's only been a temp. fix. Rather than deal with this old hardware, I thought I'd use an older computer towards an upgrade. The mobo, socket 939 type, has died but the rest of the hardware is good. The PSU is a CoolerMaster 500w (maybe not the greatest) and I can get a spare Sempron cpu towards the build.

The computer is just used for chatting, surfing, adding pictures and movies/videos.

I think motherboards are about $50 to $70 (for AM2+/AM3) and new DDR2 RAM (4GB) is about $80 to $120? If used RAM (2 or 4GB) is not competitive, I'll just get 2 new sticks.

What prices are guys asking for here? Any idea?

Also, what should I do? Any recommendations? Should I just bit my lip and buy a new pair of sticks? :-/

I'm just tired of dealing with these old desktops! LOL! I hate bare bones computers!!!
Old June 15, 2010, 03:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Find someone selling ddr2 for a good price eg 75 less for 4gbs used then find your mobo. If you can't go and buy a am3 mobo and ddr3
Edit: I don't think a socket 939 can be used with ddr3 or ddr2 :P
Old June 15, 2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoobie View Post
Find someone selling ddr2 for a good price eg 75 less for 4gbs used then find your mobo. If you can't go and buy a am3 mobo and ddr3
Edit: I don't think a socket 939 can be used with ddr3 or ddr2 :P
The socket 939 mobo is done... it's the part that's no good...

The PSU is fine... I have a case... burner etc.

DDR2 for $75 is okay ... so I save $20... but, then shipping is what?

I thought I might be waiting a while...

I don't think I can save much on the mobo... cheap ones (740g) are $50 and up...

Thanks for some feedback...

I can get the AM3 mobo and DDR3 RAM but then it's a lot more $$$ for a system that's a bit overkill...but, futureproof..
Old June 15, 2010, 06:25 PM
Top Prospect

Are you planning to use a Socket AM2 or higher Sempron cpu? or is it the older socket? (754?)

An older sempron (example: 2600) will not fit in an AM2 or higher motherboard. At that point I would recommend getting a new CPU as well. (or just a bunch of used parts)

DDR2 and DDR3 ram are relatively the same price, with maybe a $10 difference for a 4gb set. Same goes with the motherboards. Performance wise, you probably won't notice much of a difference with a Sempron cpu for basic tasking.

If I were you, I'd get an AM2 mATX board with some used DDR2 Ram (the cheapest route) since you want to go a bit more budget.
Old June 15, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can get some good deals on used ddr2 and amd mobo's, that would be the best route. If you do end up buying stuff new, you might as well spend the few extra $$ on ddr3 and a new mobo or even get the parts used. Wasting money on dead hardware is not a smart idea.

Old June 16, 2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

The cpu is only single core, I think. I believe it's a Sempron LE-1250.

How much is a basic dual core cpu?

The Sempron might be sufficient, though. The previous machine was a Pentium 3 so it should be a step up even if it's not huge...

It seems that a lot of people are asking a lot for used DDR2 RAM. I have noticed ads for $80 to $90... for 4GB. I can probably find it new for a bit more than that and have peace of mind that I can return it if there's a problem or replace, at least... also, like you guys are saying, maybe it's worth it to just switch to a DDR3 system and futureproof everything. Even with a budget build, it's not much more than a DDR2 system and it's better equipped for future upgrades. At the very least, it'll be easier to replace or add RAM down the road if need be.

Well, with all that said, are the recommendations still the same? :)
Old June 17, 2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Can anyone advise me on my current RAM? I was wondering what my options are if I ever wanted to add another stick.

This is my current RAM, 4GB:
Mushkin HP PC2-6400 4GB - Specs & Reviews

NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin HP PC2-6400 HP2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-5-4-11 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - 996533 In Canada.

I think it's discontinued now. I was wondering what options there would be for adding RAM now. I doubt I'll find similar timings and maybe Mushkin has moved to a different RAM with different timings/chips, etc.?

I was just curious whether I should even entertain adding another stick now or is this system end of the line?
Old June 17, 2010, 04:37 PM
Top Prospect

NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ In Canada.

(DDR2)
This is probably the most popular 4gb kit that you'll find at the moment. To be honest, I would probably spend the additional extra for a new kit of ram, as used ram on craigslist seems to be only a few dollars cheaper. (But you can always check the HWC Buy Sell.)

NCIX.com - Buy Kingston ValueRAM KVR800D2N5/2G PC2-6400 2GB 1X2GB DDR2-800 240PIN DIMM Memory - KVR800D2N5/2G In Canada.

(2gb of DDR2)
This would be a good choice if you want to save some money for now, and just get a 2gb stick. Kingston valueram is actually very reliable and a very decent budget brand company for RAM. As well, this is a 1x2gb stick, so if you purchased an mATX board (Only 2 dimm slots), you can further expand to 4gb down the road. It is on sale for pretty cheap as well.

Also, looks like your CPU (Sempron LE-1250) is an AM2 socket cpu. This basically means you won't be able to run DDR3 anyways. (My information on this may be inaccurate, but I believe this is the case.)

Cheapest dual core cpu that I would recommend is the AMD Athlon II 250.
Old June 17, 2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOnTurtle View Post
NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ In Canada.

(DDR2)
This is probably the most popular 4gb kit that you'll find at the moment. To be honest, I would probably spend the additional extra for a new kit of ram, as used ram on craigslist seems to be only a few dollars cheaper. (But you can always check the HWC Buy Sell.)

NCIX.com - Buy Kingston ValueRAM KVR800D2N5/2G PC2-6400 2GB 1X2GB DDR2-800 240PIN DIMM Memory - KVR800D2N5/2G In Canada.

(2gb of DDR2)
This would be a good choice if you want to save some money for now, and just get a 2gb stick. Kingston valueram is actually very reliable and a very decent budget brand company for RAM. As well, this is a 1x2gb stick, so if you purchased an mATX board (Only 2 dimm slots), you can further expand to 4gb down the road. It is on sale for pretty cheap as well.

Also, looks like your CPU (Sempron LE-1250) is an AM2 socket cpu. This basically means you won't be able to run DDR3 anyways. (My information on this may be inaccurate, but I believe this is the case.)

Cheapest dual core cpu that I would recommend is the AMD Athlon II 250.
True. But, the Sempron is only a $30 part.

The quesiton about my Mushkin DDR2 RAM is separate to my build. I was wondering what I would have to do/get if I wanted to add RAM. But, I can't buy the same one anymore unless I find it used someplace.

I guess I could buy a new batch of DDR2 and move the Mushkins to the new build? That way, I might have a better chance of being able to have 6GB some time if I want it.

The reason I might want 6GB is for my Linux installs. It's helpful to have more RAM since you have to devote RAM to the virtual operating systems.

Maybe I should save my money for my video card! LOL! Then, just buy an AM2+ mobo that takes DDR2 RAM, use the Sempron, give it the Mushkin and buy one of the newer 4GB of DDR2 RAM for my current computer? Or is that silly?

If I go with a DDR3 mobo, I can't use the Sempron and then I am stuck using the current RAM in my mobo and I'm limited to 4GB of RAM. Sure, 4GB is enough for practically everything and it's enough for my project but I think 'adding RAM' won't work as well since the timing/type will be slightly different.

Hopefully, some 'hardware experts' can comment as I don't know enough about this stuff!