Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Is old RAMBUS ram holding value? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/33140-old-rambus-ram-holding-value.html)

Delavan June 13, 2010 08:16 AM

Is old RAMBUS ram holding value?

Hi,

I bought a lot of old parts for $5...lol mostly for the RAM sticks, to help out friends and family members with old computers...

In there, I found 2 sticks of SAMSUNG 256mo RAMBUS RDRAM...some crazy nuts are still selling that for $150/stick on the net (memory house)...are they for real? Is this stuff still valuable???
Would it be worth the trouble to sell that on fleabay or something?

Look, these guys are selling that for even more!!! $250/stick Holy jeez...

Samsung 256MB Rambus PC800 RIMM ECC, P/N: MR18R082GBN1-CK8 - CPU & Memory

Did I find a GEM? I don<t think so as old hardware always sell at a retarded price.

martin_metal_88 June 13, 2010 08:24 AM

If you can't memtest it at first it's worth nothing. But if you can and she is tested good then you can sell it for a good price.

Delavan June 13, 2010 09:18 AM

Sad thing is: I don't have a system to test it, so there is nothing I can do to certify it:doh:

martin_metal_88 June 13, 2010 09:50 AM

then it's work like 10 box + shipping on flea bay with a I don't know if it work notice.

supaflyx3 June 14, 2010 08:52 AM

It's also priced so high because of low demand.
take a look on NCIX at old video cards, they're all priced higher then when they were first released.

Delavan June 14, 2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

It's also priced so high because of low demand.
take a look on NCIX at old video cards, they're all priced higher then when they were first released.
Yes, that I agree, as it's always the case...

sswilson June 14, 2010 09:29 AM

Older/hard-to-find tech often commands a premium price because business' often prefer to repair older kit than end up with a mish-mash of mixed IT resources. That said.... 2X 256M without the ability to verify that it's working probably isn't worth all that much unless you see a local request on something like Kijiji.

Zero82z June 14, 2010 10:53 AM

What people sell things for does not always reflect what they are worth. You can still find RAMBUS memory for dirt cheap nowadays because people are still selling them for what they are really worth, which is just about nothing. I've even seen people giving away RIMMs for free.

Rison June 15, 2010 03:59 AM

Items are worth what people are willing to pay for it - no matter the item. Hell, look at how the stock market works.. it's all percieved.
I had 4x 128M RDRAM (rambus is the company name.. it's like calling facial tissue kleenex) PC800 that I sold locally last year for $100/stick. Some people will call it junk, because they have no use for it.. but for people who have old servers - it's worth a lot to the right person.

_dangtx_ June 15, 2010 04:26 AM

'gave' away an old pc for..i dont know 20 bucks or something? dude tells me he sold the cpu for 50 bucks lol