Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2010, 02:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Is any memory tested for AMD?

Why is it when your shopping for memory to match your AMD motherboard, all the memory you see that should be compatible, reads (tested for use with Intel processors)??????? I dont mean "some" memory, I mean "ALL" memory... wth?
Old May 15, 2010, 08:59 AM
MVP
F@H

Market share. It's the same with operating systems, right? Nobody puts "works with Linux" on their $big_box_store rigs.

It stinks, but there ya go. Have you tired "reverse engineering" your search? Check here for AMD compatibility: CMTL - Computer Memory Test Labs <--- recommended by AMD
Old May 15, 2010, 09:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If you're looking for RAM for the new AM3 boards that use DDR3 look for kit's that are dual channel vice 3 channels. AMD only support Dual channel RAM. So if what you're looking at says something like DDR3 Triple Channel then it's intended for I7 systems, if however it says DDR3 Dual Channel than it's good to go.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Last edited by Pelt; May 15, 2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: for spelling.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My System Specs

Looked into this very recently. If you go to AMD overdrive website and click "system requirements" you will find ~10 models which support BEMP, or black edition memory profiles. These rams have been tested for AMD comptability. What's the catch? They carry a hefty price tag over non-BEMP approved modules, but they allow you to download xml files from an AMD server and automatically optimizes your ram.
Old May 15, 2010, 05:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Really I had no idea that is what it ment thanks for the info brother. About these Xml files were do I find them? I got Corsair Dominator BEMP models.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old May 15, 2010, 07:12 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If you want memory that's been tested to work with AMD CPUs, just have a look at the QVL list for your particular motherboard.
Old May 15, 2010, 07:32 PM
Banned
F@H

put the tri chan ram in an amd mobo and itll run(not tri chan of course)
Old May 16, 2010, 12:06 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
Really I had no idea that is what it ment thanks for the info brother. About these Xml files were do I find them? I got Corsair Dominator BEMP models.

I am going to purchase those Corsair Dominator modules as well, so I will be in the exact same boat as you with the 1090T.

If you download AMD overdrive, there should be a tab shown here:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition PCSTATS Review - AMD Overdrive 3.0 - Black Edition Memory Profiles (BEMP)

Let me know if it works for you.

BTW, did you get the CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 or the newer CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 modules?
Old May 16, 2010, 05:31 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe that link was based on an older version of Overdrive the one I have does not have an update online button. But it does have a dedicated BEMP tab. When I press it you get the screen attached below. When I press "check" which I assume to be similar to what is in the article you linked it says no updates availible. So I guess we wait unless someone enterprising young nerd has posted custom XML files somewhere.
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2010, 08:37 AM

My System Specs

Ahh crap... I was afraid that would happen.

I don't know if it didn't download a profile because of the 1090T processor, or simply because one hasn't been uploaded yet.