Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2010, 02:29 PM
Top Prospect

If I end up trying to get more RAM, maybe I'll have to try OCZ's low voltage Platinum series, and try getting away with a 0.05 or 0.1v overvolt.
Old May 7, 2010, 05:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

wy do you want to over volt them? or even under volt them? unless your oc'ing?

personally am running some crazy Patriot DDR2 ram on my 775 board with a 2.1V Stock setting

My Boinc Stats
Old May 7, 2010, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patramix View Post
wy do you want to over volt them? or even under volt them? unless your oc'ing?

personally am running some crazy Patriot DDR2 ram on my 775 board with a 2.1V Stock setting

Because the stock voltage on my current RAM does not match the stock voltages on any of the current RAM available. If there's a lot of overvolting room on the newer stuff, I would just overvolt a new pair of RAM to go with what I currently have, but what would likely happen is I would overvolt the new stuff a bit, and undervolt my current RAM since I can't give them independent voltages.
Old May 7, 2010, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

ahh yeah now i gotcha! yeah that would suck needing to buy everything. still cant find the same kind of ram somewhere eh?

My Boinc Stats
Old May 7, 2010, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

I've tried scouring ebay, and it's not there. When I could find it there severeal months ago, it was all "buy now" stuff, usually for $150 or more for used sticks. Since then, I found one site with a pair for $400. I'd rather buy 8GB of new stuff for less than do that.
Old May 20, 2010, 08:11 PM
Top Prospect

Just a repeat question - how big a deal are timings? I found more OCZ RAM, PC3-12800, with 8-8-8 timings, rated for 1.9v. Am I likely to notice a difference going from a 7-7-7 timing to 8-8-8? I'm assuming that OCZ RAM should at least be likely to be compatible with other OCZ RAM? I'd be mixing a set of Platinum with a set of Gold. The other possibility I'm looking at is buying some A-Data RAM, rated at 2000MHz with a 9-9-9 timing. I'm thinking, so long as I could get it to run with my OCZ RAM, I could maybe slow it down to 1600MHz, and hopefully tighten the timings.

What do you guys think?
Old May 20, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Ram

I found that mixing ram either won't boot up or crashes. Two of the same frequency and timings will work sometimes, it really is a crap shoot. If you have 2 different speeds and they run, they have always run at the lower frequency, at least in my experience, which is limited. Maybe someone else could weigh in here, but I would stay at the same frequency if i'm gonna mix 2 brands, let alone two latencies. Good luck
Old May 20, 2010, 09:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
I found that mixing ram either won't boot up or crashes. Two of the same frequency and timings will work sometimes, it really is a crap shoot. If you have 2 different speeds and they run, they have always run at the lower frequency, at least in my experience, which is limited. Maybe someone else could weigh in here, but I would stay at the same frequency if i'm gonna mix 2 brands, let alone two latencies. Good luck
I would be setting everything to the lowest common speed in the BIOS, and then from there see if I can do any overclocking. I suspect the OCZ Gold might be my best bet.