Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2010, 08:52 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Significance of RAM settings

Hey all.

Just curious and for general knowledge, what settings affect the performance of RAM more than others? Does the timings matter most or the frequency?

If you had say 1600 Mhz with 9-9-9 timings compared to a slower clocked but faster timings like 8-8-8 or 7-7-7, what would have more of a performance impact?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 15, 2010, 06:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Anyone? Is it that stupid of a question :P hah
Old April 15, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ram speeds and timings are nearly meaningless to anything besides a few random benchmarks. You will see almost no change in real world performance between CAS 9 PC3-1333MHz and CAS 7 PC3-1800Mhz. Theoretically it is definitely faster, but in real world scenarios, it just makes little if any difference.

I just changed out CAS 5 PC2-8000 for CAS 6 PC2-6400 and it made no difference at all for me.

AMD CPU's historically cared more about tighter timings than Intel CPU's.
Old April 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Depends

Some motherboard and Bios and CPU and Power supply all mattter to the speed at witch the RAM can run at. Generaly speeking RAM with higher speed 1600 vrs 1333 means that ram is desighened and tested to run at the higher speed. If you are using more ram you may have to loesen timings so that it will run better 7,7,8 18 to 8,8,8 24 if you get RAM faults. Test your RAM to see if it can handle tighter timings or if you are buying RAM go fore respected brands and as fast as you can aford. Ram with thighter timings and faster speed alows you overclock better. If you are not going to overclock it still is importent to buy good RAM. because it will fault less and if you enabel it in bios it will Overclock to the designed spec buy itself if you endabe it in bios.

What board or prosessor do you need RAM fore?
Old April 15, 2010, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

...anyways.

to answer your question, it mostly doesn't matter! faster speed or lower timings either way will boost performance equally enough. You can tune the speed a little more finely then the timing, but you have to worry about the other clocks associated with that of course. Picking one over the other to increase performance though doesn't matter too much in the long run.
Old April 17, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't really have a huge effect anymore. Read some of the reviews here and you'll see very little difference in performance.
Old April 17, 2010, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it