Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2010, 09:34 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Corsair Dominator GTX2 PC3-18000 CL8 Memory Review Comment Thread

In the world of extreme overclocking, the best of the best are always looking for the next big thing which will allow them to push their systems to new heights. Corsair has recently introduced a new line of modules which are the epitome of their current Dominator series. Dubbed the GTX2, these are geared to be the best of the best and we see how they perform when pushed to the absolute limits.

[ Read full article ]
Old February 1, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need Vidio

whould have loved a vid even a short one Rock On
Old February 1, 2010, 10:05 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You seem to like vids. ;)

Not all reviews translate well to video....and than includes memory reviews.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

$200/stick of ram with heatsinks that were not properly applied? At that price, you had better hope you just had really bad luck there. Corsair support is pretty good though, but still....
Fold for team #54196
Old February 2, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

yeah ZZLEE, i am curious as to what type of video you are interested. memory doesn't really strike me as video-genic...if that word has been made up before, i just did.

as for the heat sinks, clearly just one of those things that happens. the second set was much better and looked more like the Dominator heat sinks i have seen in the past. as mentioned, this is the first time i have seen anything but pure flush contact between IC and heat sink; and i have seen a lot of Dominator/DHZ heat sinks in the past couple years.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:26 PM

kind of a thread revival from the dead, but there have been some developments regarding this particular Corsair Dominator GTX2 kit of memory...let's just say I have upgraded the cooling and am about to do some testing.

hopefully i have some results within the next couple of days
Old May 12, 2010, 12:50 PM
Banned
F@H

question for reviewers...besides for those looking for flashy or oc series, isnt ram all the same(when it works properly, of course) ? :)
just dump it in and there you go.

awaiting results. how did the 'rma' go?
Old May 12, 2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
question for reviewers...besides for those looking for flashy or oc series, isnt ram all the same(when it works properly, of course) ? :)
just dump it in and there you go.

awaiting results. how did the 'rma' go?
yup, RAM is RAM is RAM is RAM...and high-end overclocked memory is the last thing anyone should put in a daily system. performance difference between standard DDR3 and performance DDR3 for instance is next to nothing. performance memory is the worst bang-for-buck component in a 24/7 computer system.

RMA?
Old May 12, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Ram

Nice review. From what I've picked up from you guys is that 1333 seems to be the norm for most 1366 systems, regardless of the ram. I'm curious to know if the reasoning for the higher performance is to aid in oc. I haven't done much in the oc field but had to drop ram speeds to get cpu to oc and be stable. Just a regular air cooled system with 1333 ram with 7-7-7-20 timings. I plan to start trying more overclocking with help from the pros on this site, so any help would be appreciated. AkG, where are you buddy? hahaha.

Edit: I'm using the ChillTec Ultra piezo electric cooler, so air would still be my cooler. Would the H50 be better, as it's a sealed unit just for the cpu? Maybe I should be posting this in the overclocking section.

Thanks for the help folks.

Last edited by fishingfanatic; May 12, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
So for those wanting to dress up your GT's to GTX spec, you can. Keep in mind, your GT supplied fan likely won't fit, but we can't confirm that so you will want to make sure yourself.
When you buy the fins they also send the extensions for the fan, I ordered them a few months back.

Nice review.