Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Upgrading to 8GB (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/26638-upgrading-8gb.html)

impruv December 16, 2009 12:06 AM

Upgrading to 8GB

I currently have a set of these OCZ (OCZ2P8004GK) DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Platinum 4GB (2x2048) Kit Dual Channel

I want to upgrade to 8GB possibly in the near future.

What I'm wondering is, do I buy 2x4gb or do I run a 4x2gb ?

What are the differences and I do plan to OC. System specs in sig.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: System Specs since the signature did not update and is only reflected in posts after.

Intel E8400 (3.0 ghz) w/ CM 212+ [planning to OC very soon]
Palit HD4850 512mb
2x2gb OCZ Vista Performance Platinum
OCZ StealthxStream 600W
Asus P5Q
NZXT Alpha

Windows Vista 64bit -> Windows 7 once school is done.

misterlarry December 16, 2009 12:25 AM

Welcome to HWC impruv! I'm not seeing your signature or system specs. We assume that you're running a 64 bit OS. I think most people will agree that two 4Gb sticks will treat you better than vice versa. Other people will have some good brand and spec ideas for you once we see your system specs. I started out running 4 x 1Gb sticks then went 2 x 2 and finally went to 4 x 2Gb. Love my Mushkins!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

impruv December 16, 2009 12:29 AM

Hmm... weird because I see a preview of my signature in my User CP. But I made the signature after the OP.

Haha, thanks for the welcome... I've been lurking for a while but made the account recently :clap:

enaberif December 16, 2009 03:10 AM

do you have a need for 8? or just want 8?

impruv December 16, 2009 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 302788)
do you have a need for 8? or just want 8?

Well first of all, I do have a bad habit of having lots of things open. [Photoshop/firefox with many tabs/office/itunes etc...]

And sometimes rendering giant photos or heavy layered manipulations in photoshop can take a while.

Though, I am also starting to get into video editing and the sort so I believe it will be beneficial.

And... it's Christmas! :bananafunky:

impruv December 18, 2009 11:31 PM

Anyone know? Need to make a decision soon.

MarkOne December 19, 2009 03:11 AM

I will suggest you take 2 * 4GB , but if it was me I will go with 4 * 2gb , but I will make sure to check the qualify vendor list on the asus website , some memory can't be place in the 4 slot......... I can always put it in an other rig if it,s a problem. but in your case, you mention you are a student, so go for the less risky one.

Gellidius December 19, 2009 05:29 AM

sometimes Photoshop can take a whole lot of mem. even if it's only for the history function. it happens to me sometimes and i got 4GB of it. go for 8!

redwagon December 19, 2009 12:43 PM

If you plan to overclock the ram, 2 sticks will be easier to overclock than 4 sticks.

ArmenianLegend December 28, 2009 08:23 AM

its always better, to have less sticks of ram, as stated above gives better overclocking, and less stress on the northbridge. also for those who say u don't need the ram, if you turn of pagefileling your going to need 6gb+ easily