Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   4 gigs of 800 or 6 gigs of 677? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/26133-4-gigs-800-6-gigs-677-a.html)

dadzilla December 2, 2009 09:33 AM

4 gigs of 800 or 6 gigs of 677?

Well, this is an odd post, I realize. Teh situation is this: I had 4 one gig sticks of DDR-800 in my mobo, worked fine and reported at 800 at post. Due to selling of some parts, I added 2 two gig sticks of DDR-800, and removed two of the one gig sticks. This left me with two one gig sticks, and two 2 gig sticks, for a total of six gigs, and it all boots up fine. But: at post my ram now reports at 677 instead of 800.
The question: which is faster or more useful, 6 gigs at 677 or 4 gigs at 800?

TopDogZero December 2, 2009 11:39 AM

If all the RAM is DDR 800 then it should run at that speed don't matter how much you have, are you sure that the new sticks are 800 (you can use CPU-Z to see what the SPD on the RAM is). If all the ram is DDR-800 try setting the speed in the BIOS yourself but check and see if the voltage for all the sticks are the same 1.8v is the normal spec but high performance ram usually uses more.

dadzilla December 2, 2009 12:36 PM

Well, here's a bit more info then: the two one gig modules are corsair xms (I think?) and the two 2 gig modules are Kingston Hyperx. The 677 showed up only after I added teh hyperx - which does say it 800 on the ram. Odd, but not surprising?

TopDogZero December 2, 2009 02:05 PM

The manufacturer web sites for both of your RAM shows different timings and voltages depending on exactly what modules you have. The best bet is to use CPU-Z and see what the SPD of the modules support timings and voltages. Different timings will work just set to the slower one, but different voltages I've never tried.

By the way XMS is DDR1, you have either XMS2 or XMS2-PRO

dadzilla December 2, 2009 02:26 PM

XMS2. Ya - so i wonder if the machine is any faster with the 6 gig set up - actually seems like it is, despite the 677ness of it.

Dead Things December 2, 2009 02:48 PM

Run a good long memtest over night - even when they have the exact same timings and voltages, different types of memory often don't like working together. With yours having different timings and voltages, it could lead to system instability. Frankly, I'm surprised it has worked at all.

TopDogZero December 2, 2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Things (Post 295948)
Run a good long memtest over night - even when they have the exact same timings and voltages, different types of memory often don't like working together. With yours having different timings and voltages, it could lead to system instability. Frankly, I'm surprised it has worked at all.

Been discussed before on here, but many have run different makes of memory without problems as have I. I think the problems start with high performance memory that is not the standard spec. Usually if the voltages are the same the timings will drop down to the slowest module. Right now I have a A-DATA 2GB and a Samsung 1GB 800 running without issue and at one time I had 1GBx3 Kingston 667 and the 1GB Samsung ruining at 667 again without issue But all modules are the same voltage 1.85v.