Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2007, 03:32 PM
Rookie

Default memtest86 ram testing

Im testing ram as of the moment here are the details

Buffalo firestix running at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v ddr2 800
ab9 pro e6600 @ stock

run memtest86 version 1.6 on the first stick and as soon as i started the program I immediately got 4 errors and the errors got more and more and more...and it keep adding up (423 as of now writing this message) so I do have a bad ram at this point or is there any other program that I can use to determine the ram is bad??

tia
Old September 17, 2007, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would grab the latest version Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
If it still errors on that stick it doesnt look good.

Do you have another computer? If you are able to swap it to a different mobo/system and run memtest you'll pretty much know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 14, 2007, 05:13 AM
Top Prospect

I also ran this and got no error, lucky me :) What I would like to know is if its a good idea to run the test when the ram is overclocked to test for stability? How much passes should I say "this ram is good" ? I did 3 passes last night but each pass lasted about 30mins. In another note my RAM is no longer being picked up as dual channel when using the slot that are listed on my motherboard manual.
Any suggestions?
Old December 14, 2007, 06:30 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxTux View Post
I also ran this and got no error, lucky me :) What I would like to know is if its a good idea to run the test when the ram is overclocked to test for stability?
Yes, if your memory clock is just even a bit unstable, you'll get errors.

Quote:
How much passes should I say "this ram is good" ?
More passes the better but three runs is adequate.

Quote:
In another note my RAM is no longer being picked up as dual channel when using the slot that are listed on my motherboard manual.
Any suggestions?
I don't know what motherboard you have but if a DIMM combination of 1&3/2&4 or 1&2/3&4 doesn't enable dual channel then there is something wrong.
Old December 14, 2007, 07:54 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty316 View Post
I don't know what motherboard you have but if a DIMM combination of 1&3/2&4 or 1&2/3&4 doesn't enable dual channel then there is something wrong.

Well It use to be DIMMA1 + DIMMA2 made them go into dual channel but since I got my crash were I got a checksum error. and reloaded the BIOS from my motherboard CD it now anything but A1 + A2.

Here is a Sample of how the RAM is layed out, this is not my motherboard.