Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2009, 03:58 PM
Rookie

Default computer picking up wrong ram timing

Hi all, i ran cpu-z for the first time on my first build and noticed the ram spec were incorrect. I am not sure how this happened exactly but i did oc my i7 and accidently changed a settings. Cpu-z came out wih 9-9-9-24. My actual ram is here Micro Center - XMS3 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL8 Memory Kit (Three 2GB Memory Modules). I went into my bios and changed some timming settings but i am not sure if they are correct so i am utilizing the full capacity of my ram. After my changing the timing settings i ran cpu-z and got this
I took some snaps of my current bio settings, can you please tell me if what i have done is correct or how can i fix them:help:?

I would like to OC my ram and any insight on how to would be great and i know this last question is in the wrong section but i just wanted to kill two birds with one stone. Thanks a bunch for your help in advance.
EVGA GTX 295 co-op edition
Asus P6T
OCZ 700W Stealth Xtream Power Supply
Seagate 500g SATA 16mb
Samsung SyncMaster 2494hm
Logitech g19
Logitech g9
Old September 3, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I don't see anything wrong with this? It happens a lot that timings are off, but by setting them in the BIOS(just like you did) they run just the way they should. :) What is it that you're looking for exactly? Tighter timings? More MHz?

[Shameless Plug]By the way, you really should be Folding on that Monster Rig of yours. You would make a great addition to our team[/End Shameless Plug]
Old September 3, 2009, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Are you sure i didn't mess a setting somewhere and i am slowing this beast down? I believe they call it bottlenecking? At this point i am trying to make sure everything is full speed ahead on this PC. Seems like i need to run a ton of different programs to know that each hardware is functioning properly. I am looking to make my PC fast as possible without blowing up so is tighter settings and more MHz combined possible? I took a look at your folding at home link and i will try to set it up this weekend. I hope folding is easy to setup just because i feel swamped with info being a newbie and a first build. I will blow myself up before this computer. LOL
Asus P6T
Seagate 500g SATA 16mb
Logitech g19
Logitech g9
Old September 14, 2009, 06:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

RAM isn't a bottleneck anymore, at least not with DDR3. The usual bottleneck is the harddrive, and SSD's are starting to fix that, but RAM is still faster than a SSD currently.

EDIT: You can overclock your RAM if you want, by raising the baseclock (bclk) of your i7, or raising the RAM multiplier. This will also overclock your Core i7 processor too, if you raise the bclk. Raising the multiplier will probably make it jump up quite a bit higher, and if you can't POST (Power On Self-Test, the computer will beep if you have a speaker in the motherboard header) you may have to move a jumper on the motherboard which will clear your CMOS, depending on what motherboard you have. I have motherboards that do this automatically if overclocking fails, so if you have a similar board you may not have to move the Clear CMOS jumper. Clearing the CMOS just resets the settings to factory defaults (just remember to return it to the default position after). Raising the bclk might make your system unstable, so remember to stress test all your parts. I use Prime95 for stress testing, Small FFTs test the CPU, Large FFTs test RAM, and Blend tests both. I suggest you do more research about what timings do before you try changing them too much, but it's not really necessary to lower them, most overclockers loosen the timings to get a higher RAM frequency anyway.

Also, I can't see the pictures you have in your post.

EDIT2: Make sure you don't use higher than 1.65V for your RAM with a Core i7, or you could end up with a fried processor.

Last edited by Nemaster203; September 14, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old September 14, 2009, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Sorry about the pictures. I took them down because my settings changed but I am still have the problem. I will post the new snap I have tomorrow morning. Thanks nemaster.
Asus P6T
Seagate 500g SATA 16mb
Logitech g19
Logitech g9
Old September 15, 2009, 04:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemaster203 View Post
RAM isn't a bottleneck anymore, at least not with DDR3. The usual bottleneck is the harddrive, and SSD's are starting to fix that, but RAM is still faster than a SSD currently.

EDIT: You can overclock your RAM if you want, by raising the baseclock (bclk) of your i7, or raising the RAM multiplier. This will also overclock your Core i7 processor too, if you raise the bclk. Raising the multiplier will probably make it jump up quite a bit higher, and if you can't POST (Power On Self-Test, the computer will beep if you have a speaker in the motherboard header) you may have to move a jumper on the motherboard which will clear your CMOS, depending on what motherboard you have. I have motherboards that do this automatically if overclocking fails, so if you have a similar board you may not have to move the Clear CMOS jumper. Clearing the CMOS just resets the settings to factory defaults (just remember to return it to the default position after). Raising the bclk might make your system unstable, so remember to stress test all your parts. I use Prime95 for stress testing, Small FFTs test the CPU, Large FFTs test RAM, and Blend tests both. I suggest you do more research about what timings do before you try changing them too much, but it's not really necessary to lower them, most overclockers loosen the timings to get a higher RAM frequency anyway.

Also, I can't see the pictures you have in your post.

EDIT2: Make sure you don't use higher than 1.65V for your RAM with a Core i7, or you could end up with a fried processor.

Ok, so here are my current bio settings I am using.

This is what CPU-Z is showing what my ram is running at. Shouldn't DRAM Freq be at 800MHz and cycle time at 24?

I also ran SuperPI but I cannot understand the results. Are the results slower than it should be with my particular RAM?

Asus P6T
Seagate 500g SATA 16mb
Logitech g19
Logitech g9

Last edited by Tiger; September 15, 2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old September 16, 2009, 05:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The RAM you use has a SPD of 8-8-8-20, so it's supposed to be 20, not 24. Also, since you overclocked your CPU, you have to manually change the frequency of your RAM, set DRAM Frequency to 1602MHz or whatever it says close to 1600MHz, since it won't be exact. If it just gives you a multiplier or ratio, this will be 8 at the settings you're using. Also, I would lower the voltage on your RAM a bit, since they're not overclocked right now, they're underclocked to 1200MHz. Try to stay below 1.64V and you should be safe.
EDIT: I don't use SuperPI, so I wouldn't know if your RAM is too slow or not.
Old September 17, 2009, 04:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemaster203 View Post
The RAM you use has a SPD of 8-8-8-20, so it's supposed to be 20, not 24. Also, since you overclocked your CPU, you have to manually change the frequency of your RAM, set DRAM Frequency to 1602MHz or whatever it says close to 1600MHz, since it won't be exact. If it just gives you a multiplier or ratio, this will be 8 at the settings you're using. Also, I would lower the voltage on your RAM a bit, since they're not overclocked right now, they're underclocked to 1200MHz. Try to stay below 1.64V and you should be safe.
EDIT: I don't use SuperPI, so I wouldn't know if your RAM is too slow or not.
I change my DRAM Freq to 1603MHz and checked the timings again with CPU-Z and they jump up automatically to 9-9-9-24. I manually changed it to 8-8-8-24 in BIOS, this is ok? I would like to get the maximum performance out of the ram even if it means to OC them.
Asus P6T
Seagate 500g SATA 16mb
Logitech g19
Logitech g9
Old September 17, 2009, 08:22 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

If you want to overclock your RAM, try raising the MHz to the next highest number, and see if it'll run, then run Prime95 Large FFT test to test the RAM for stability. Also, your RAM is rated for 8-8-8-20, so you can go below 24 for that timing, but if you're overclocking, you probably want slightly looser timings, so the RAM doesn't have to work so hard.