Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   OCZ RAM, no XMP, specs? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/21028-ocz-ram-no-xmp-specs.html)

yamla July 23, 2009 10:13 AM

OCZ RAM, no XMP, specs?

I picked up 12 GB of OCZ RAM, OCZ3P1600LV6GK. OCZ does not include XMP profiles. I know the RAM is capable of 7-7-7-24 timings at 1.65 volts but in the BIOS for my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard, there are a number of other settings apart from the four specified above.

How can I determine what to set these other values to? I'm only interested in setting them to the values that OCZ recommends, but I don't know how to determine this without an XMP profile.

Perhaps I am confused, perhaps it does have an XMP profile. Perhaps I just set the RAM to 1600 MHz and accept the automatic settings?

bojangles July 23, 2009 10:50 AM

Just set the ones that are given and keep the other ones to auto if you don't know what they're for. I have the same kit as you, but only one kit worth. Great RAM for the price. You might have to change the OC setting or memory setting to manual or custom. Sorry but I don't know what your BIOS looks like.

yamla July 24, 2009 08:50 AM

It's probably a good idea, but it didn't work. I set the frequency to 1600 MHz and the timings to 7-7-7-24, and the voltage to 1.65, and the computer does not boot up. Looks like in order to get it to boot at that, I can't leave the other settings (tRC, tRRD, tWTR, tWR, tRFC, tRTP, tFAW, CMD, and/or Round Trip Latency) at auto.

I'm a little sad that the kit doesn't come with XMP but for the price, I'm very happy with the RAM.

bojangles July 24, 2009 09:02 AM

Are you sure you're doing it properly? I can set mine manually on my EVGA Vanilla X58...I would give another go with it. Maybe take a picture of you BIOS? I'm sure someone with the same board could help you out.

yamla July 24, 2009 09:36 AM

I've read elsewhere that perhaps what I need to do is boost my QPI voltage. Also, some recommended settings that I read elsewhere, but which I have not tried yet:
tRC 26 (or 30), tRRD 4 (or 5), tWTR 4 (or 5), tWR 8 (or 8), tRFC 88 (or 60), tRTP 4 (or 5), tFAW 16, CMD 2.

bojangles July 24, 2009 09:57 AM

You could also turn down your QPI to 4.8GT/s and see what that does...

Flasker July 24, 2009 11:52 AM

Set Performance enhance to standard
Set your QPI/VTT voltage to 1.325V - 1.375V
Most mobos need memory voltage set to 1.7V with 12Gb. With 6 DIMMs the vDroop to the ram is approximately 0.05V, so to get 1.65V to the ram you need to set 1.7V in the BIOS.
You should just have to set the primary timings, 7-7-7-24 (CAS, TRCD, TRP, TRAS) the board should do the rest

bojangles July 24, 2009 12:43 PM

It's really nice to have a Mushkin rep in here :).

sswilson July 24, 2009 09:40 PM

Another thing you can try is to set the standard 7-7-7-24, but start at a lower clockspeed for the ram with all of the other settings at auto. If you then bring the memory speeds up slowly, the auto settings might be able to adjust to the higher clockspeeds. (That's what I intend to do with mine on the MSI board I've got, and then I'll go in and try to tighten those timings up from the auto settings afterwards).

I'm not sure how dependant on secondary timings the AM2/3 platform is, but the S939 platform could get quite a boost from tightening them.

Squeetard July 24, 2009 09:47 PM

I got the same set a few days ago. Couldn't post either.

Set the voltages like flasker said, then do the 7-7-7-24 and set the trc to 40 and the trfc to 88. Got that from the OCZ forums, been stable since.