Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default OCZ Blade 3x2GB PC3-16000 CL7 Memory Review Comment Thread

Our dreams have been answered. A top bin Elpida Hyper kit that didn't let us down. For benching purposes only of course. For 24/7, we have some interesting comments and conclusions in the article.

If you are debating whether a DDR3-2000 kit is for you, have a read of the OCZ Blade PC3-16000 review and ask yourself...what do I really need the memory for? Then come back here and give us your thoughts.

Last edited by 3oh6; June 17, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old June 17, 2009, 07:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty awesome piece of kit. Nice on the system benchmarks. Obviously I think most people know fast ram has really never benefited gaming. I think like most high-end products these will sell for people who want the best regardless of the small marginal return over cheaper ram. It is a little plain looking though.

Old June 17, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sweet review. But yeah I agree with FtGF that it's come to a point where everything has to catch up to RAM speeds now. Then again, that always makes sure that it keeps RAM prices low because of how much they produce of the same thing.

Keep it goin' 3oh6!
Old June 17, 2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
It is a little plain looking though.
you mean the memory itself? i was wondering how people would respond to the aesthetics of this memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Sweet review. But yeah I agree with FtGF that it's come to a point where everything has to catch up to RAM speeds now. Then again, that always makes sure that it keeps RAM prices low because of how much they produce of the same thing.

Keep it goin' 3oh6!
thanks Eric...so when you gonna bring that 920 over and let this memory have it's way with it. now that the review is done, we can really see what it will do
and 10K in 06 CPU test will be a cake walk now...i done learned some new tricks
Old June 17, 2009, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Interesting results on the 3DM6. I remember doing some testing of my own, and the score would hardly budge, even over wide differences in timings and speeds. I was also under the impression that the Elpida IC's didn't respond very well to voltage, but that graph was looking pretty impressive to me.

I think this is the first sideways profile of the memory I've seen - never realized that the top of the spreaders were curved like that. Agreed, just a little plain, but I like the finish. If I was seriously concerned about cosmetics, I think they'd look better with a black PCB.

Bit of a tough sell on the price, especially when I think about the Mushkin kit you just reviewed.
Old June 17, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
you mean the memory itself? i was wondering how people would respond to the aesthetics of this memory.

thanks Eric...so when you gonna bring that 920 over and let this memory have it's way with it. now that the review is done, we can really see what it will do
and 10K in 06 CPU test will be a cake walk now...i done learned some new tricks
Don't worry Jody lol, I probably have some spare time next week or the weekend after to start workin on this thing. I'll bring flip flops next time for easy bare feet action .
Old June 17, 2009, 09:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Ya the memory itself. I know there is a segment of us that are vain and like our hardware like we like our woman........sexy!

Old June 17, 2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
Ya the memory itself. I know there is a segment of us that are vain and like our hardware like we like our woman........sexy!
haha, see for me, these are the ultimate sticks as far as aesthetics goes. normally i am all about all go and no show, but when i got these sticks i really dug their looks. it must be my mechanical background that makes me like them so much. the subtle granite-like finish, the art deco curve to the top of the heat sink, the almost flat black color...they are just really appealing for some reason to me.

anyway, i was just wondering what others thought because i know appearance is important to many. thanks for elaborating for me, appreciate it.
Old June 17, 2009, 10:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
haha, see for me, these are the ultimate sticks as far as aesthetics goes. normally i am all about all go and no show, but when i got these sticks i really dug their looks. it must be my mechanical background that makes me like them so much. the subtle granite-like finish, the art deco curve to the top of the heat sink, the almost flat black color...they are just really appealing for some reason to me.

anyway, i was just wondering what others thought because i know appearance is important to many. thanks for elaborating for me, appreciate it.
No prob. Also it is possible the pictures just don't do them justice. They could possibly look like a piece of serious equipment in real life. I know we are all familiar when things look way better when you actually get your hands on them or vice-versa. Of course everything is relative when it comes to looks. They do look like something you would rip out of a Terminator.

I used really not care what things look like as long as it beat everything else out there. To a point it is the logical thing but now that it seems that some manufacturers are making nice looking gear a priority, it is something I look at.

Last edited by FtGF; June 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old June 18, 2009, 07:30 AM
Rookie

Nice write up 3oh6. I kinda like the looks too. Top notch as usual.