Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Mushkin Redline Ascent 3x2GB XP3-12800 C6 Memory Review Comment Thread

Mushkin is making a splash in the pool again, a big splash. They have recently announced a number of of Redline and Redline Ascent memory kits for the Intel i7 platform. These tripple channel kits are first to market rated for CL6 operation at DDR3-1600. Today we proudly post the review of the Mushkin Redline Ascent PC3-12800 6-7-6-18 3x2GB kit of memory.

We understand this is just a single kit, but the overclocking absolutely stunned us. These Mushkin Ascents aren't budget memory, but they certainly aren't the $400+ high-end kits available either. The potential overhead definitely makes them worth a look for that price range.

As mentioned a couple times in the review, we really would love to see some user feedback on this kit as well as the Redline counter part. So if you have this memory, be sure to post your results here, and don't hesitate to ask any questions on clocking this memory...but it is quite obvious that 6-8-6 is your friend
Old May 27, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess the hard part about testing RAM on the i7 setup is that the RAM is linked to the CPU speed. I wish it was able to run unlinked so that you could have some freedom to change the memory speed instead of the CPU. This changes the results considerably. It's also too bad how these Mushkin sticks performed quite mysteriously when changing simply one timing and all of a sudden you get a hefty increase in frequency. That's just the magic of RAM I guess...overall though the overclocking was amazing. 2000 MHz is quite a significant jump from stock. Congratulations on the OC!

Great review BTW. That was probably one of the more detailed memory reviews here, which is always nice to see sometimes. You took a lot of time out of your hands to do a few more tests for us which is always a plus. Thank you!

It's a good thing 6-6-6 wasn't your friend this time HAHA.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And to think I've had the non-ascent version of these redlines sitting in my bedroom for a few months now... doing nothing.

Baaah I'm lazy!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wow, sweet sticks. And they seem to be in stock at my local CC...

Any chance I could trouble you to put a vernier across one of the dimms to get an exact width measurement? My board's got wider than average dimm slot spacing, I think I may just have room. And it's been a whole couple of weeks since I conveniently blacked out and woke up with a lighter wallet.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

MpG, just get the Frostbyte version if you're worried, they are the exact same sticks without the Ascent coolers, they look just as great!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

thanks Eric, memory is definitely like that sometimes. this particular kit just doesn't like tRCD 7, just like the Dominator-GT kit i got absolutely hated tRCD 7 over a certain frequency. gotta spend the time to work them over to get the most out of them, that's for sure.

@ encorp...get those sticks to work and report back with what you get. report on my desk by 9am

@ MpG...how is this? looks to be juuuust under 9mm, or about 9mm exactly.

guess i could have put something like that in the review , definitely will for next time.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Woot! I've got about 11-12mm clearance/DIMM! Hmm... have to sleep on it tonight.

@Encorp: Are they the same? I couldn't find any Mushkin sticks for sale with these specs. Same IC's, possibly. But you do pay a little for the binning and fancy heatsink, of course.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:50 PM
Rookie

Great review 3oh6 as always

Sweet 32M run, that's just the icing on the cake!
Old May 27, 2009, 07:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Woot! I've got about 11-12mm clearance/DIMM! Hmm... have to sleep on it tonight.

@Encorp: Are they the same? I couldn't find any Mushkin sticks for sale with these specs. Same IC's, possibly. But you do pay a little for the binning and fancy heatsink, of course.
The only difference between 998691 and 998692 is the heatspreader.

Newegg Canada has the 998691s
Newegg.ca - mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Old May 27, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Forgot to check the Egg, thanks. Free shipping too. I'll have to think about it.