Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh great, I bet you any money the next redlines are going to be shipped in a friggin bagette from france, silly Europeans!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 28, 2009, 01:48 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Oh great, I bet you any money the next redlines are going to be shipped in a friggin bagette from france, silly Europeans!

Hmmm, the impact-absorbing capabilities and armor-plating of a baguette as a shipping container... intriguing.
nick@mushkin.com
Office - 800.569.1868 Ex: 103
317 Inverness Way S.
Suite 130
Englewood, CO 80112
Old May 28, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinNick View Post
Hmmm, the impact-absorbing capabilities and armor-plating of a baguette as a shipping container... intriguing.
that might work. hard outer shell, soft interior form fitted to each module. sounds like a winner to me
Old May 28, 2009, 02:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe it's listed and I missed it... who's the single Canadian retailer that has these sticks?

edit: BTW... Assuming these are somewhere under $300 that's a pretty decent price for memory that performs this well. I'm thinking that many of our members have been spoiled by the rock bottom prices we've seen on DDR2 memory, but there's certainly some of us around who remember dropping close to $400 on two 1G sticks of PC4000.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 28, 2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Maybe it's listed and I missed it... who's the single Canadian retailer that has these sticks?
Canada Computers - Memory > Desktop Memory > DDR3 1600 PC3-12800+ : Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB(3x2GB) 240-pin XP3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz, (6-7-6-18) Triple Channel Kit (998692).

the only place i can find it right now. doesn't even come up in any price sites in canada.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:13 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
... but there's certainly some of us around who remember dropping close to $400 on two 1G sticks of PC4000.
Infineon chips rules back then...I still have my set...I'll never sell it, it worked so well for me.

3oh6, I must say, I ALWAYS enjoy reading what you write. Thanks very much for the awesome read; it really shows why you do what you do.

Old May 28, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
i received my kit from you wrapped in bubble wrap inside the box so
there was no chance of it opening up, but some retailers might not do that.
Hrm. So these chips arnt retail? I really want to see some independant results from other HWC folks then. In addition, maybe I missed it in the article, but it would be nice to list the source of the parts, be it retail or OEM sent.

I trust the Mushkin name, but I really hope these arnt cherry-picked...Mainly because I want a pair and hope they preform just as well I think this is called Jealousy
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 28, 2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Hrm. So these chips arnt retail? I really want to see some independant results from other HWC folks then. In addition, maybe I missed it in the article, but it would be nice to list the source of the parts, be it retail or OEM sent.

I trust the Mushkin name, but I really hope these arnt cherry-picked...Mainly because I want a pair and hope they preform just as well I think this is called Jealousy
just because they are sent from the manufacturer, doesn't mean they aren't retail samples plucked randomly. all review samples i receive from memory manufacturers are full retail kits, i won't post results from cherry picked samples. that said, every kit, setup, ability is going to garner different results. i mention this in every review, overclocked results from a single sample shouldn't be considered what every sample will do. some are going to be better, some worse.

i am not sure how Mushkin handles it but most manufacturers marketing departments send an order to the orders department and a random retail kit gets sent out to reviewers. no different than a distributor or retailer placing an order and the sample is sent from the exact same pool as retailers/distributors get from. the odds of me getting a good kit versus a bad kit are no different than anyone else purchasing a kit from a retailer or from Mushkin directly.

i hope that clarifies some of the process for you.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
just because they are sent from the manufacturer, doesn't mean they aren't retail samples plucked randomly. all review samples i receive from memory manufacturers are full retail kits, i won't post results from cherry picked samples. that said, every kit, setup, ability is going to garner different results. i mention this in every review, overclocked results from a single sample shouldn't be considered what every sample will do. some are going to be better, some worse.

i am not sure how Mushkin handles it but most manufacturers marketing departments send an order to the orders department and a random retail kit gets sent out to reviewers. no different than a distributor or retailer placing an order and the sample is sent from the exact same pool as retailers/distributors get from. the odds of me getting a good kit versus a bad kit are no different than anyone else purchasing a kit from a retailer or from Mushkin directly.

i hope that clarifies some of the process for you.
I understand the process as it 'should' occur. That, however, does not mean it DOES occur.

There is plenty of info out there regarding certain companies past practices of binning parts to reviewers to sell more copies based upon 'amazing!' performance. I belive both OCZ and nVidia have been busted with doing this (and this is the reason anandtech was blacklisted from OEM sent nVidia cards, because he called nVidia out on it), and its also the reason Anand now purchases newegg copies of stuff to verify results within a moderate setting when suspect occurrences arise.

I'm not trying to trash any ones name, by any means, especially HWC and its reviewers. I love the reviews here. Nor am I saying you guys should out of pocket purchase more of said X part. Thats insane. However, there is a different association (for ME at least) put on OEM sent vs retail purchased overclocks and performance. Yes, I do totally understand OC results vary item to item. But I (excuse me while I don my tinfoil hat!) suspect OEM sent items, or am atleast wary of them due to identified situations in the past, and would like to know where the products come from. Thats all I'm saying.

Maybe noone else does, and I'm alone?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 28, 2009, 04:09 PM
Manufacturer Rep

I think the only reason we did these instead of having a reseller send them was they were unavailable in Canada at the time.

Also, if you see any Mushkin product thats not available at your Canadian reseller of choice, feel free to let me know (nick@mushkin.com). I sit right next to our primary Canadian rep, and it takes all of 30 seconds to poke him and get him after the resellers. Also helps if you send the reseller an e-mail asking about the parts since it helps when they see demand on their end.
nick@mushkin.com
Office - 800.569.1868 Ex: 103
317 Inverness Way S.
Suite 130
Englewood, CO 80112