Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post

@ encorp...get those sticks to work and report back with what you get. report on my desk by 9am
They'll be running in a couple weeks, just waiting on my mobo and PSU to arrive!

:P

I actually will build this thing by July!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 28, 2009, 05:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Great review!!!!

Just goes to show what kind of magic can be done with a set of mem sticks in the hands of somebody who knows what they are doing. Memory overclocking has never been my strong point, but seeing your results with that one change to tRCD has inspired me to have another go at my DDR2 Ascents. :)

I do have a question for you though.... (the answer might not be quick to come up with.... :) )

For my own personal use, I can't see wanting to run 12G of memory anytime in the near future, but your observations on not being able to run 6 sticks with these heatspreaders have me wondering if there would be any benefit to filling both channels on the i7 platform. Pretty hard to test properly, but in a nutshell I'm wondering how 6 X 1G sticks would stack up against 3 X 2G sticks with similar timings.

Is there anything in i7 architecture that would allow the memory channels to be used independant of each other, or is the available memory (and this is what I suspect) seen as one large pool of memory? (Does that make any sense? :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 28, 2009, 10:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Great review, will done.
I think your comments about the packaging in the beginning of the review was a good observation , when I received my DDR2 Ascent kits both packages were broken open and acouple modules were loose in the shipping box.

Last edited by r0bc; May 28, 2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 28, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

thanks guys, and thanks again Sean, appreciate the help in making this happen.

@ SS...you make perfect sense and a really good question. fortunately the answer is pretty straight forward i believe. back in AMD64 and even some C2D chipsets if my foggy memory is working right, having four slots filled versus two equating to the same amount of memory was a performance benefit. it is called channel interleave. four-channel interleave would ensure that data was always ready to be presented to the system when the system was ready for that data. the performance gains weren't huge, but us SPi benchers caught on real quick. with the triple channel i7 architecture, the memory BUS is already so saturated that having more - smaller - channels of memory doesn't help performance, at least in theory.

to be honest, i haven't tried because i just don't have enough 1GB matching DDR3 sticks laying around anymore. but based on the memory bandwidth performance and how memory past a certain point with i7 just doesn't provide much benefit, i would guess that 6x1GB DIMMs VS 3x2GB DIMMs isn't going to provide a lick of difference. in fact, it may hurt your clocking ability due to the amount of memory channels in use. we know the IMC of i7 struggles with 6x2GB DIMMs already, not sure if 6x1GB DIMMs has the same effect on the memory controller. HTH

@ r0bc...i feared there were users out there that received Ascent memory in an opened package. the sticks are just too heavy for the molded plastic packages. at first i sort of laughed at OCZ for wrapping their triple channel kits in a box, but then as the Ascents showed up, i immediately realized how good an idea that was. the Ascent package works fine, if tightly wrapped and taped in bubble wrap...providing the same support a box would do for the molded plastic. thanks for the confirmation on my suspicions
Old May 28, 2009, 11:02 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Great Review! :)

Then again, I may be a little partial...

Quote:
@ r0bc...i feared there were users out there that received Ascent memory in an opened package. the sticks are just too heavy for the molded plastic packages. at first i sort of laughed at OCZ for wrapping their triple channel kits in a box, but then as the Ascents showed up, i immediately realized how good an idea that was. the Ascent package works fine, if tightly wrapped and taped in bubble wrap...providing the same support a box would do for the molded plastic. thanks for the confirmation on my suspicions
To my knowledge, this hasn't happened yet. We do have some interesting new packaging options we are looking into for our higher-end offerings. I would imagine these will stand up to the abuse, but I don't think I am allowed to go into details just yet.
nick@mushkin.com
Office - 800.569.1868 Ex: 103
317 Inverness Way S.
Suite 130
Englewood, CO 80112
Old May 28, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinNick View Post
To my knowledge, this hasn't happened yet. We do have some interesting new packaging options we are looking into for our higher-end offerings. I would imagine these will stand up to the abuse, but I don't think I am allowed to go into details just yet.
good to hear Nick, it's not that the package is bad, the Ascent heat sinks are just so heavy that the package can easily come open if not secured by something wrapped around it. i received my kit from you wrapped in bubble wrap inside the box so there was no chance of it opening up, but some retailers might not do that.

i also ran into this with the first version of the OCZ Flex XLC memory. the heat sinks were just so heavy that the package opened during transit and the modules were loose inside the package. certainly something to think about even though it may not be the norm.

i am definitely happy to hear some new packaging is on the way...thanks for the heads up

oh, and the specifications page was updated, thanks again for the great quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:02 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinNick View Post
Then again, I may be a little partial...

Whelp, it has happened to me about a year back with some Redline DDR2 modules I purchased. Something in the box was going "clunk, clunk" and lo and behold, the memory modules were trying to escape!!

Seriously though, I think the packaging needs to be redone. I know it works well for retailer point of presentation but for cross-country shipping, it is inadequate IMO.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

MushkinNick I sent NCIX a picture of the packages and suggested they wrap them in bubble wrap because of the weight.
It was last September I still got the email
But all is good

Last edited by r0bc; May 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Old May 28, 2009, 02:40 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:

Hahah, no worries. :)

I am gonna talk to a few folks about packaging. We have some cool packaging options over in Europe that I want to bring to N. America.

Edit: Also, we took the meteorite and had it blessed by a Shaman in the Himalayas. We had to find another shipping crew, but I hear the new IC's are even better. :)
nick@mushkin.com
Office - 800.569.1868 Ex: 103
317 Inverness Way S.
Suite 130
Englewood, CO 80112

Last edited by MushkinNick; May 28, 2009 at 02:46 PM.