Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2009, 05:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default which ram?

I stopped going higher in my cpu oc, as the ram is now working at it's max freq. of 800MHz and i would like to go higher, until i use about 1.5v or a bit more in cpu vcore.

Can i overclock my ram without shortening it's expected life too much or should i buy these:Kingston HyperX PC8500 1066MHz 2GB DDR2 Dual Channel Memory Upgrade - 1x2048MB KHX8500D22GR at TigerDirect.com

I will install 2 x 2GB for a total useable 3.2GB as what i have now is not quite enough ram.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You should buy a proper 2x2GB kit, then they are fairly matched sticks and should be capable of running the same speeds/timings. Such as these: NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ In Canada.

However you should be able to clock your RAM up to 850-900MHz (or maybe even higher), so I'd try that first before buying new RAM.
Old April 20, 2009, 08:00 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i should have made it clear that: i either buy one more ram like the one i already have and oc it,

OR

i buy 2x2GB of the kingston or the g.skill you suggested

Which of these 2 options will be best?
I want faster ram so i can oc the cpu a bit more, and i need more ram for Rosetta@home

Maybe it's not an easy question to answer but i'm wide open to suggestions.

Old April 20, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post
i should have made it clear that: i either buy one more ram like the one i already have and oc it,

OR

i buy 2x2GB of the kingston or the g.skill you suggested

Which of these 2 options will be best?
I want faster ram so i can oc the cpu a bit more, and i need more ram for Rosetta@home

Maybe it's not an easy question to answer but i'm wide open to suggestions.
No point.

You'll see very little benefit or performance.
Old April 22, 2009, 01:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Installed a second RAM stick earlier today, same as the one i already had.
it used to be that with 2GB of ram and running Rosetta@Home, all the ram would be used, plus 20-25% (1GB) of virtual ram (paging file=4070GB);
worse, when there was only about 50MB of free ram left, TuneUp Utilities would defrag the ram and that would slow down the cpu's work for a while.

Also important, pc's now ready for the summer as i changed the front and rear stock fans for 2 Scythe SY1225SL12SH,
110cfm, 37dBA. They make a wind tunnel noise but it does not bother me because temps have gone down about 10C or more.

I did have a look at this fan:Delta AFB1212GHE 120x38mm Rev. C Grand High Speed, but i thought that would be overkill, and maybe those fans would rip the insides and shred them out through the back fan, or the pc would start hovering and fly away! ;-)