Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2009, 02:34 PM
Top Prospect

Default Corsair Dominator 6GB Kit DDR3-1600MHz 8-8-8-24??

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys think. Should I spend $250 on this RAM or spend alot less with the OCZ brand? Any other brands that are better than this? thx :)
Cooler Master HAF 932 || EVGA X58 3x SLi || Intel Core i7 920@ 3.7GHz || Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1866MHz || EVGA GeForce GTX 275 FTW || Corsair TX850w || Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1 || Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB || Seagate Barracuda 500gb || Corsair H50 CPU Cooler ||
Old April 9, 2009, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the premium, it's not really worth it. You can find really good kits from Corsair and others for a much lower price.

I heard a while ago that these were good overclockers though and that's why everyone was choosing them. Don't quote me on that though.
Old April 9, 2009, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
For the premium, it's not really worth it. You can find really good kits from Corsair and others for a much lower price.

I heard a while ago that these were good overclockers though and that's why everyone was choosing them. Don't quote me on that though.
Yeah cause I wont be overclocking my RAM. I want RAM that is good at stock speeds. I found OCZ RAM for $106.
Cooler Master HAF 932 || EVGA X58 3x SLi || Intel Core i7 920@ 3.7GHz || Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1866MHz || EVGA GeForce GTX 275 FTW || Corsair TX850w || Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1 || Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB || Seagate Barracuda 500gb || Corsair H50 CPU Cooler ||
Old April 9, 2009, 03:06 PM
Manufacturer Rep

I would definitely check out a few other options. The Dominators seem to be nice modules, but for that price... wow.

Here are a few other options out there:

Mushkin 998679 - 3x2GB DDR3-1600 7-8-7-20 - 199.99 @ NCIX
Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 - 129.99 after rebates @ CC
Corsair Dominator (non-GTX) DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 - 214.99 @ NCIX
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8-8-8-21 - 219.99 @ NCIX

Man, they take you guys to the bank on pricing. :(
nick@mushkin.com
Office - 800.569.1868 Ex: 103
317 Inverness Way S.
Suite 130
Englewood, CO 80112
Old April 9, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Mushkin Nick....nice RAM (the Mushkins) but they never seem to be in Stock at NCIX...not into the waiting game!!!
Consider what is optimal for your Mobo...buying cheap isn't necessarily the best route to go!! Those Doms are "proven" to run at 1600 with those timings and no issues on the Evga X58 Boards, some folks are having issues with other brands...do some homework!
OCZ DDR3 are garbage...."pinch pennies and watch the dollars sail by"..

Old April 9, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

if you are not overclocking, then there is going to be no difference between equally spec'd kits, aside from compatibilities. the Dominator PC3-12800 8-8-8 kit has been absolutely wonderful as far as compatibility goes. with 4 different i7 motherboards, the XMP profiles have picked up perfect every time and they are stable as a rock...

with that said...

for the price, there is likely a lot better choices out there. performance wise, 7-7-7, 7-8-7, 8-8-8, 9-9-9 at PC3-12800 are all going to perform within 10% of each other, and that is in bandwidth testing. in real world testing, you are likely going to be hard pressed to find any difference. we are literally talking about 1-5 FPS in games and 1-5% in encoding/decoding type work.

as far as options for someone in your situation, i would definitely recommend the OCZ PC3-12800 8-8-8 @ $115 or the Mushkin PC3 -12800 9-9-9 @ $130. the primary reason being that they are both fantastic companies to deal with if you do have a problem. i have never had to RMA with Mushkin but their support speaks for itself and OCZ is as easy to deal with as anyone. the biggest thing would be compatibility of these kits with the motherboard you are running. you will likely have to configure either kit but getting them to run at their rated DDR3-1600 when running stock is very straight forward.

Keep in mind, I don't have personal experience with either of the above kits...just going by what is on paper.

HTH

***edit***
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
OCZ DDR3 are garbage....
do you have personal experience with their kits? any particular kit you are speaking about?
Old April 9, 2009, 04:25 PM
MVP

kingston hyperX T1 series Buffalo firestix inferno
Old April 9, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
do you have personal experience with their kits? any particular kit you are speaking about?
I had one kit (2 x 2Gb) on my 2nd Rig in my Sig......failed Memtest 86 and of course caused me "grief" prior to testing....got rid of em and my Mushkin Redlines have been rock solid. Do not have "experience" with OCZ on my Evga X58 Board, but have yet to hear any "positive" reports on this RAM on this Board....thier is likely a reason that they are approx. $100.
If I had my choice ( which I didn't when putting together the I7 - grabbed what was available), I would go with the Mushkin Kit above, but it never seems to be available / in stock.....?!
With that said, I would be curious to try out those Vipors..

Old April 9, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
I had one kit (2 x 2Gb) on my 2nd Rig in my Sig......failed Memtest 86 and of course caused me "grief" prior to testing....got rid of em and my Mushkin Redlines have been rock solid. Do not have "experience" with OCZ on my Evga X58 Board, but have yet to hear any "positive" reports on this RAM on this Board....thier is likely a reason that they are approx. $100.
If I had my choice ( which I didn't when putting together the I7 - grabbed what was available), I would go with the Mushkin Kit above, but it never seems to be available / in stock.....?!
With that said, I would be curious to try out those Vipors..
making a blanket statement like "OCZ DDR3 is Garbage" is a little out of place based on a single experience...don't you think? partially basing that blanket statement based on "peoples" posts in a forum when you have no idea what their level of technical expertise, is also a little reckless don't you think? i am not trying to be a jerk here but i hate seeing bad advice based on even worse sources.

i have seen people complain about OCZ memory with the EVGA X58, but i have seen just as many complaints about the Dominator kit in question on the same board. in fact, the EVGA forums are riddled with "can't get DDR3-1600" and "post your settings for DDR3-1600" using a number of kits. clearly there is a lack of knowledge and/or experience with triple channel memory coming from a lot of these users. they are trying to run DDR3-1600 at a 200BCLK and then complaining about the memory...that doesn't exactly sound like someone technically sound in their overclocking, does it?

again, i have no personal experience with the budget OCZ DDR3 triple channel kits at DDR3-1600, but if you are running a stock system and simply looking for a kit of memory to run on the 2:12 ratio at stock BCLK133, i don't see why there would be a problem with their kit at $115 which is a great price. like i said, you may have to manually adjust timings, voltages, etc...but i haven't seen a flood of threads by seemingly knowledgeable people who can't get that kit running at stock specs which leads one to believe a lot of people have bought that memory based on the price alone. people that aren't likely overclocking and posting their positive results in the forums we frequent because they are just your average user. likely people running their systems at stock like the OP would be. sometimes a lack of posts on a kit of memory is just as telling as a flood of posts.
Old April 9, 2009, 04:43 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Mushkin Nick....nice RAM (the Mushkins) but they never seem to be in Stock at NCIX...not into the waiting game!!!
Consider what is optimal for your Mobo...buying cheap isn't necessarily the best route to go!! Those Doms are "proven" to run at 1600 with those timings and no issues on the Evga X58 Boards, some folks are having issues with other brands...do some homework!
OCZ DDR3 are garbage...."pinch pennies and watch the dollars sail by"..

Ah, just noticed that out of stock box. I just checked with our Canada sales rep and he says they are on their way to Netlink (probably there early next week).

Canada Computers has stock (at a slightly lower price, too!)

I'm not aware of any issues with them on the eVGA boards.

The Doms are a nice part, I like the heatsink design a lot. Plus black/red heatspreaders look good (UGA colors, woop woop!) I am just amazed at the price difference just at the 8-8-8-24 level.

To the OP, yeah if you aren't going to be overclocking them I would look more towards your price/performance ratio. A large reason there is a price disparity from 9-9-9-24 to 8-8-8-24 may not be just the timings, but the headroom that is built into the module for overclocking.
nick@mushkin.com
Office - 800.569.1868 Ex: 103
317 Inverness Way S.
Suite 130
Englewood, CO 80112