Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2009, 01:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Anyone know of some cheap low-profile RAM?

Hi all!

I'm STILL working on my M-ITX project, and I've run into a snag. My case is...unusual...so I can't get my DVD drive in with full height RAM. I know low-profile stuff exists, such as this Kingston stuff:

Low profile DDR2-memory by Kingston | Hardware.Info United States

but I can't seem to find any for sale. I need a 1GB module of DDR2; any speed is fine.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Any suggestions?
Old March 25, 2009, 02:34 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I've used that low-profile ram from Kingston before at work with no issues, I'd say go with that !
Old March 25, 2009, 02:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Kingston claims that the modules are better for the environment than the regular ones, since they need less production materials.
I'm afraid I can't help but if the quote is true, it'd be nice if low-profile became the standard.
Old March 25, 2009, 04:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Have a look here http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX18276(ME).aspx
I know the photo they have is not low profile but the 2 GB part number is listed at Kingston as low profile I can't find this part number there, here is a link to the PDF for the 2GB Data Sheet.
http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR667D2D8P5L_2G.pdf
I guess you can give Memory Express a call and find out if this is actually low profile stuff.
Old March 25, 2009, 06:23 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the advice, guys. Unfortunately, I just took another look at the project (I was angry and had to walk away after discovering the RAM issue yesterday) and realized that my pico PSU will ALSO be in the way, and that THAT is entirely non-negotiable. At this point, I'm almost considering just not putting a DVD drive in entirely, as it's a Lenovo drive and I need to find a proprietary adapter to use it anyway....<sigh> I have to go for a row in my failboat now....And play some COD: WaW to make me feel better.
Old March 25, 2009, 06:27 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Never say never, find a different DVD drive or a different type of Pico-psu, like the type that connects directly to the 20-24 pin mobo connector for example...
Old March 26, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

what type of DVD player are you using? the newer sata models like my LG seriously dont take up more then the drive bay racks worth of room. their only a cm or 2 longer then a DVD. that might allow for more room?

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 26, 2009, 03:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, guys. If I had the money, I'd just buy one of the SATA slim DVD drives on right now at NCIX; at least I wouldn't have to mess with the adapters. That said, I'm far too broke for that; this project really should have waited until I had more money, and if I ever get it finished I'm probably going to have to sell it right away and try to recoup my costs--provided, of course, that I can find a buyer. As it stands, I'm just finishing an M.A., and desparately looking for work while I go through the hoops of revisions on my thesis and await defense, while at the same time trying to sock money away for my wedding this summer.

On the more technical difficulty front, the problem is, surprisingly, not length, but height. I was hoping to sneak in a DVD drive above where the RAM and PSU sit, but it's just not happening, and there's no room to shift it over at all. I could, alternatively, slot the drive in underneath the motherboard, but that would mean that it would come out on the side of the system. <sigh>

Oh, and thanks for encouragement, CMetaphor; I'm actually already using a 20pin Pico PSU that hooks right into the connector--the 90w, IIRC. Again, it's just that damnedable height issue, and there's no other way for me to orient the board....GRR.
Old April 9, 2009, 11:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I thought I would pop a quick update in here.

I managed to get a slim SATA DVD drive after FINALLY selling my 226BW.

I decided to use an extension cable to get my Pico PSU out of the way, and then began to hunt for low-profile RAM again. Luckily, someone on the NCIX forum pointed out that the new line of Kingston Value RAM (1GB and smaller, I think) is now low-profile, despite what the spec sheets may say. I went down to a local shop to confirm, and it's TRUE!

For anyone who comes across the same problem, the model is KVR800D2N5/1G and it's PC2-6400 CL5 (I'm not sure of the rest of the specs, and I"m not overly concerned for my build) It's about 18mm tall, which is just over half of a regular DIMM's height.

Thanks to all who helped, and I'll throw some pics up of the build once I get the damn thing finished.
Old April 13, 2009, 05:19 AM
MVP

whats the benefit of low profile ram? aka short height ram? is it more compatible?