Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default how much ram do you need inable to disable pagegfile?

I keep hearing/reading all of these different stories saying that you need this or that much ram before you can disable page file. then on the other side I read and heard people saying that you shouldn't disable page file at all , so who here know s the answer. if you need a certain amount of ram before you can disable pagefile how much is it? I am using eight gigs of ram om my XP x64 machine
Old March 12, 2009, 09:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Try it and find out. It will warn you if you're getting low on memory. Just don't do anything mission critical while you test it. I used to run without my page file with 4GB of system memory, but mostly I just game and no game I tried used more than 2GB. If you play FSX or use Photoshop or the like, expect to run low on memory.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like SugarJ said go ahead and give it a shot. Since you have 8GB you should be good for most things, but like he said using photoshop, movie editing tools, and lots of multitasking can really bring the usage up. So really it depends a lot on what exactly you do day to day. If you are like me and have lots open and doing many things at once then you could maybe use up that 8GB, but then again that is a fair bit for most things.

I'm guessing you will be fine, but just test to make sure.

Old March 12, 2009, 10:11 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Depends on the app. I've run this scenario 100's of times. oodles of ram, no page file. Runs like a top until certain apps crash out or others wont even start, tell you there is no memory. Yet I've yet to run any app that uses all of the available memory.

Poor memory management.

Edit: It appeared to me that some apps like to pre-page resources. And also this was limited to win XP and earlier. I haven't had any experience with vista with no page file.

Last edited by Squeetard; March 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:28 PM

My System Specs

If playing Crysis, then 8GB And no I'm not joking. Crysis would crash all the time with an out of memory error until I moved up to 12GB. This is with Vista and Superfetch disabled.

I don't use photoshop on my windows machines so I am not sure how it would affect things.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:31 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

A good example of an app with poor coding.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Crysis has noticed you did not spend $5000 on your system, if you do not enable pagefile now program will self destruct...

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 13, 2009, 02:26 AM
MVP

It depends what you are doing with a computer
In my case I don't game(much to expensive a hobby with all the electronic depreciable stuff involved), but do use the computer for int, email and lookup stuff, some picture storage, thats about it
So 2 gigs is fine currently for me.
Well I got 4 gig to try the other day with vista 32...the unit ran about the same as 2 gigs here BUT then in my use of a computer it likely would.
But since 64 bit is worth a go someday, I have the vista 64 bit cd as well as the 32 bit cd, or 7 so I ordered 4 gigs of mushkin
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9