Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 4Gigs of Ram?? Improvments?

I have 2gbs of Corsair XMS ram, I was wondering what improvements will i get if i get 4 gbs of ram.

General Improvement and Gaming Improvements

Rig:

AMD 5200 2.7 GHZ
ASUS M2A VM
CoolerMaster 600W (POS) Extreme Power
2GB Ram
XFX 9600GT
Old February 16, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Depends on your OS and what you do with your PC. Windows XP 32 bit will see little to no gains. Windows Vista 32 will see minor gains but still has the same limitations of all 32 bit OS's in that you will really only get to use roughly 3GB of the 4GB installed. Windows XP 64 bit and Windows Vista 64 bit will see and use all 4GB and Vista will make better use of 4GB.
Old February 16, 2009, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Depends on your OS and what you do with your PC. Windows XP 32 bit will see little to no gains. Windows Vista 32 will see minor gains but still has the same limitations of all 32 bit OS's in that you will really only get to use roughly 3GB of the 4GB installed. Windows XP 64 bit and Windows Vista 64 bit will see and use all 4GB and Vista will make better use of 4GB.
Vista doesn't make better use of 4gb as it will have the same usage as XP x64.

RAM usage != superfetch
Old February 16, 2009, 09:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

agreed, odds are you'll only see 3.5 gigs out of the 4 gigs you installed in XP 32bit and will barely notice the difference.

Vista 32bit you will also see 3.5 gigs out of the 4 gigs you installed as well.

Mind you... it's worth it to mension that Vista [being the pig that is it] will see a decrease in HDD swapping with the added ram. After all 3.5 gigs is greater than 2 gigs.
Old February 16, 2009, 09:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you are a mega-tasker or one whose method or lifestyle of using a computer involves many simultaneous applications, 2 gigabytes will feel like trying to squeeze a lorry through your garage door. It doesn't work and all you get is frustration.

Installing 4GB (or 3.5GB for 32-bit users) will simply expose another weakness in your computer: the hard disk drive's I/O rates. Four gigabytes of memory doesn't just instantly solve your loading time problems; today, cramming (anisotropic-filtered) texture data into your video memory is a bigger contributor to your load times than game world wireframe geometry or compressed audio tracks into system RAM.
Old February 16, 2009, 09:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

hehehe lorry.. I love that term. Sorry for going off topic
Old February 17, 2009, 12:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I know that I noticed a big difference with my work machine when I added the extra ram going from 2GB to 3GB (yes I went 4 but had issues with stability, believe it was voltage issues and have been running at 3 to see if it is stable).

Thing is I use many apps at once and usually I am remoting into a couple machines at once as well as I usually have a virtual machine running for testing builds (vista, xp, win 7, etc.), so memory is very important on that machine. Oh and it is running Vista Ultimate 32bit. In other words if you do things that are very memory intensive then it can and will help.

Old February 17, 2009, 09:45 AM
Top Prospect

There can be an improvement going to 4GB with XP or Vista x32, you for one give your applications the full 2GB of address space they can use. Vanguard: SoH saw a marked improvement way back when I went from 2GB to 4GB, how ever EQ2 did not. Depending on the game or app, it may or may not see a difference, depends alot on your system, what its bottle necks are and if the application(s) in question benefit from the extra RAM. Some of the more modern games do see a noticed improvement.

I have 8GB in my current build but with a X64 OS it uses it all, and because all my Apps (well 99%) are still 32bit, they can only see 4GB in that configuration. Worse they use 4GB to get their max 2GB addressable space. All x64 OS will address memory with 64bit address space, meaning a 32bit app will only utilize the first half of each address, leaving the rest, extremely inefficient, but Vista X64 was a big performance upgrade for me on my old 6400+ X2 with 4GB of memory, most of my games saw in the order of 20% improvement based on FPS, Vanguard not only seeing a huge FPS gain but almost no stuttering and halting. Also reduced crashes alot over all, in fact with esception of the known X-fi/vanguard issue my system never crashes (fixed but using generic software audio in VG).

Actually once I got rid of my Auzentech Prelude and went back to onboard sound, I saw almost zero issues, and even with my recent upgrade inclding an SB X-Fi I have one stable system. Though I cannot comment on 4GB vs 8GB in Vista64 as it has been 8GB since build, I ordered new 4x2GB sticks with the mobo and CPU.

I would imagine I would see a noticable drop in performance if I dropped half my memory.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old February 17, 2009, 11:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

As the others have said, only if you're running Vista will 4GB make a difference.

I personally use Vista Business 64-bit and I'm a very heavy multi-tasker. I run 8GB of DDR2-1066 RAM. I've also disabled the page file. Runs smooth like butter!
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old February 19, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i had xp 32bit with 4gb ram. dont even notice the difference compare to 2gb.

Vista? not too sure for now. still trying to figure out how to get the hang of it