Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Has Anyone Tried Ready Boost?

I was just wondering if any of the people here tried Readyboost yet.I was in need of a new jump drive so I grabbed a 4giger that was able to run in this environment and I really noticed a difference.Hmm who woulda thunked it! I"m actually considering another 4 giger.

Old February 9, 2009, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Considering your running 4gb of ram.. you'll see absolutely NO benefit at all.
Old February 9, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've run it a few times and found no benefit whatsoever as well. readyboost is meant more for low ram situatuons of under 1GB and mostly for laptops as well.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:03 PM

My System Specs

It is pretty useless unless running with very little ram like already stated. Even with 2GB of ram and a 4GB Readyboost drive, I didn't notice anything.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use ReadyBoost on my laptop (running ~3.5 GB RAM on Vista 32 bit). The Readyboost runs off a Sandisk Extreme III 2 GB SD card, but I only use 512MB of it for Readyboost because I find that system startup time is DRASTICALLY affected as the HDD thrashes to fill up the readyboost.sfcache file on the card. I notice that it reduces startup time for programs that work with lots of small files (Eclipse, Visual Studio). My laptop has a decently speedy mobile CPU (T7500) but its hard drive is an older 160GB 5400RPM drive.

I haven't experimented extensively on my desktop, but from what I've witnessed so far, 4 GB of ReadyBoost cache does nothing to it. Moving my page file and user documents over to a separate hard drive made a much bigger improvement than the Readyboost did.

Before you go ReadyBoost crazy, remember than it only supports up to 4 GB of flash cache. For example, my 8GB USB stick can only dedicate 4GB to ReadyBoost. You may also want to try a smaller (<1GB) ReadyBoost and see if that has the same effect.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:08 PM
Top Prospect

I ran readyboost, and experience no discernible difference between running, and not running, mind you, I am running with 4 gigs. You're suppose to notice a difference with low amounts of ram but with memory so cheap now a days why would you run minimum memory specs?
Asus P5K Deluxe / Intel Core2Quad Q9550@8x425@3400mhz(1.225v) / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / 4Gigs DDR2 1066mhz(5-5-5-15) Corsair Dominator / Diamond HD4870x2 / Asus Xonar / WD Raptor 74gb / Hitachi 160GB / Antec Quattro 850w / Logitech Z-680 5.1 / Dell Ultrasharp 24" / 2 LG Optical Drives / Vista Ultimate 32bit / A tower that's been drilled, cut, and bent to fit all of my fans